Class Notifications/District Assignments
03/31/2021 8:59:21 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I think the good 'ol' boys in Columbia need to get a scratch pad and look into their math. Page 127 - 128 of the MSHSAA handbook Championship Factor: As outlined in By-Law 5.1.7, after classification is completed in a certain sport, MSIP-exempt schools that achieve specified points based on advancement in the district and state series over the six years prior to the current school year in the applicable (gender-specific) sport or competitive activity will be re-classified upward. 1. Post-season points (points are not cumulative; school will receive the points for the highest finish only): a. District Champion: 1 point b. State 3rd/4th Place: 2 points c. State 2nd Place: 3 points d. State Champion: 4 points 2. Point Totals for Re-Classification: a. 0 -- 2 points: remain classified based on raw enrollment b. 3 -- 7 points: re-classified one class above where classified on raw enrollment c. 8+ points: re-classified two classes above where classified on raw enrollment Definitely human error in this decision. Just one of the MANY errors I observed initially.
I think the good 'ol' boys in Columbia need to get a scratch pad and look into their math.

Page 127 - 128 of the MSHSAA handbook

Championship Factor:
As outlined in By-Law 5.1.7, after classification is completed in a certain sport, MSIP-exempt schools that
achieve specified points based on advancement in the district and state series over the six years prior to the current school year in
the applicable (gender-specific) sport or competitive activity will be re-classified upward.
1. Post-season points (points are not cumulative; school will receive the points for the highest finish only):
a. District Champion: 1 point
b. State 3rd/4th Place: 2 points
c. State 2nd Place: 3 points
d. State Champion: 4 points
2. Point Totals for Re-Classification:
a. 0 -- 2 points: remain classified based on raw enrollment
b. 3 -- 7 points: re-classified one class above where classified on raw enrollment
c. 8+ points: re-classified two classes above where classified on raw enrollment

Definitely human error in this decision. Just one of the MANY errors I observed initially.
03/31/2021 9:17:03 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
The genders are treated differently. MICDS boys are in C3 while the girls program you referred to is C5.
The genders are treated differently. MICDS boys are in C3 while the girls program you referred to is C5.
03/31/2021 9:20:24 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I'm just here for the comments....
I'm just here for the comments....
03/31/2021 9:40:36 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Neosho is listed in class 5 with 984 enrollment and Willard is in class 4 with 1001.
Neosho is listed in class 5 with 984 enrollment and Willard is in class 4 with 1001.
03/31/2021 9:43:07 AM
User
SUBSCRIBER
Some fuzzy math going on!
Some fuzzy math going on!
03/31/2021 9:55:54 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@Hays Do you know the breakdown for enrollment to determine classes? The initial statement in a previous discussion was the same format used in cross country.
@Hays

Do you know the breakdown for enrollment to determine classes? The initial statement in a previous discussion was the same format used in cross country.
03/31/2021 9:57:34 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
Class 5 Sectional 1 and 2 are completely fair and balanced. Can't see anyone complaining about those for a change /s
Class 5 Sectional 1 and 2 are completely fair and balanced. Can't see anyone complaining about those for a change /s
03/31/2021 10:22:39 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@sarge490 Working on it now. It should have been posted by now on the MSHSAA site, but it is not. Chester, if a non-public is bumped up in one gender, then a public is bumped down and the corresponding gender moves with it. I think at least 3 girls teams moved up but only one boys which is why Willard got moved down but Nixa stayed up.
@sarge490
Working on it now. It should have been posted by now on the MSHSAA site, but it is not.
Chester, if a non-public is bumped up in one gender, then a public is bumped down and the corresponding gender moves with it. I think at least 3 girls teams moved up but only one boys which is why Willard got moved down but Nixa stayed up.
03/31/2021 10:57:04 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Father Tolton will have a fun time with their girls and boys teams. C2 for the boys and C4 for the girls. District and Section weekends will be busy, busy.
Father Tolton will have a fun time with their girls and boys teams. C2 for the boys and C4 for the girls. District and Section weekends will be busy, busy.
03/31/2021 11:04:32 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
It looks like they might be fixing a mistake. The districts have been pulled back down from the site.
It looks like they might be fixing a mistake. The districts have been pulled back down from the site.
03/31/2021 11:04:33 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
03/31/2021 11:06:52 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Not a good look when MSHSAA takes an extra two weeks to release district assignments and then have to pull them right back down the morning they’re released.
Not a good look when MSHSAA takes an extra two weeks to release district assignments and then have to pull them right back down the morning they're released.
03/31/2021 11:38:36 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Sectional Sites can be found here: [url=https://www.mshsaa.org/resources/Activities/TrackandField/2021%20Sectional%20Track%20and%20Field%20Managers.pdf]Your text to link here...[/url]
Sectional Sites can be found here:

Your text to link here...
03/31/2021 12:14:59 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@chester1976 Yeah I don't get that one at all.
@chester1976 Yeah I don't get that one at all.
03/31/2021 12:30:54 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
[quote=R-Taylor]Class 5 Sectional 1 and 2 are completely fair and balanced. Can't see anyone complaining about those for a change /s[/quote] HA!!!!!
R-Taylor wrote:

HA!!!!!
03/31/2021 1:11:00 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
We will enjoy by passing two districts within Sunday long run distance of our school to go 90 min away. The state better never mention geographic representation again. We've been at Smith-Cotton, with North County Schools, and with West County schools for Sectionals in the last three years (given last year didn't happen, but scheduled). Our conference is spread over three Districts and don't all feed into the same Sectional.
We will enjoy by passing two districts within Sunday long run distance of our school to go 90 min away.

The state better never mention geographic representation again.

We've been at Smith-Cotton, with North County Schools, and with West County schools for Sectionals in the last three years (given last year didn't happen, but scheduled).

Our conference is spread over three Districts and don't all feed into the same Sectional.
03/31/2021 9:15:17 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I'm not saying I agree with HOW the districts are put together and I know some of this is based on WHERE districts can be held. However, I enjoy when things get shaken up a bit. I would like to see more variety from year to year. However, I spent years trying to fight MSHSAA and come up with better ways to put districts together and it was a waste of my time. So now I just stick to coaching.
I'm not saying I agree with HOW the districts are put together and I know some of this is based on WHERE districts can be held. However, I enjoy when things get shaken up a bit. I would like to see more variety from year to year. However, I spent years trying to fight MSHSAA and come up with better ways to put districts together and it was a waste of my time. So now I just stick to coaching.
04/01/2021 12:18:20 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I just wish there was a more uniform way for determining classifications by MSHSAA. I don't necessarily love everything Kansas does, but once football comes out everyone knows what Class they will be in from the beginning of the year (which would be nice). Our School offers 5 Spring Sports and Track and Field is the only sport we are in the highest Class in this year. It is what it is, and we will compete against anyone and do our best, but some sort of uniformity and consistency would be nice. End of semi-rant and something for Coach Medley to read :)
I just wish there was a more uniform way for determining classifications by MSHSAA. I don't necessarily love everything Kansas does, but once football comes out everyone knows what Class they will be in from the beginning of the year (which would be nice). Our School offers 5 Spring Sports and Track and Field is the only sport we are in the highest Class in this year. It is what it is, and we will compete against anyone and do our best, but some sort of uniformity and consistency would be nice. End of semi-rant and something for Coach Medley to read :)
04/01/2021 1:24:55 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I have that the Valle boys should have been bumped up a class and they were not. I assume Confluence Prep is in a Co-op. I have no logical explanation why Neosho is in C5. The class ranges are now posted on the MSHSAA website.
I have that the Valle boys should have been bumped up a class and they were not.
I assume Confluence Prep is in a Co-op.
I have no logical explanation why Neosho is in C5.
The class ranges are now posted on the MSHSAA website.
04/01/2021 1:30:59 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
First Off I would like to say we are Happy to be competing in Class 4 but if they actually go by the letter of the rule, Trinity should be in Class 3. Enrollment - 243 puts us in Class 2. Add the championship factor (Girls 6pts and boys 7pts). This would bump us up to class 3. We were told we would follow the class designation that was set for Cross Country. Both teams were in Class 2 for Cross Country this past Fall. Again, we have no problem competing in whatever class we are assigned to and look forward to the challenge. - BJ Torbert (Hurdles Coach at Trinity Catholic)
First Off I would like to say we are Happy to be competing in Class 4 but if they actually go by the letter of the rule, Trinity should be in Class 3. Enrollment - 243 puts us in Class 2. Add the championship factor (Girls 6pts and boys 7pts). This would bump us up to class 3. We were told we would follow the class designation that was set for Cross Country. Both teams were in Class 2 for Cross Country this past Fall.

Again, we have no problem competing in whatever class we are assigned to and look forward to the challenge.

- BJ Torbert (Hurdles Coach at Trinity Catholic)

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.