MSHSAA TRACK & FIELD RULES/REGULATIONS CORRECTION & CLARIFICATIONS
02/27/2021 10:24:21 AM
User
SUBSCRIBER
OFFICIALS & COACHES The yellow page MSHSAA Track & Field Rules reference document sent to officials and coaches a few weeks ago has some corrections and clarifications for the coming 2021 season. 1) Page 3, Item 2. Running backwards on the runway in the horizontal jumps, PV or Javelin. Page 42, 6-2-6 NFHS Rules Book. This rule does not specify this violation to only the warm-ups. The intent is event safety. 2) Page 3, Item 3. Field event performances for 2021 are all measured in Metric units. Therefore, The correct units for the jump offs in the HJ and PV are: 2cm in the HJ and 7cm in the PV. There are no English measurements used in the jump-offs or regular competitions for 2021. 3) Page 3, Item 4. Only the wrist may be taped in the PV, SP, JV, and Disc. Pages 51, 55, 57, NFHS Rules Book, "Taping of any part of the hand or fingers is not permitted unless there is an open wound that must be protected". The event judge may request to see the open wound that needs to be covered. The event judge inspection of the competitors prior to the competition starting is very important. Item 4 is a MISTAKE. `
OFFICIALS & COACHES

The yellow page MSHSAA Track & Field Rules reference document sent to officials and coaches a few weeks ago has some corrections and clarifications for the coming 2021 season.

1) Page 3, Item 2. Running backwards on the runway in the horizontal jumps, PV or Javelin. Page 42, 6-2-6 NFHS Rules Book. This rule does not specify this violation to only the warm-ups. The intent is event safety.

2) Page 3, Item 3. Field event performances for 2021 are all measured in Metric units. Therefore, The correct units for the jump offs in the HJ and PV are: 2cm in the HJ and 7cm in the PV. There are no English measurements used in the jump-offs or regular competitions for 2021.

3) Page 3, Item 4. Only the wrist may be taped in the PV, SP, JV, and Disc. Pages 51, 55, 57, NFHS Rules Book, "Taping of any part of the hand or fingers is not permitted unless there is an open wound that must be protected". The event judge may request to see the open wound that needs to be covered. The event judge inspection of the competitors prior to the competition starting is very important. Item 4 is a MISTAKE. `
03/02/2021 8:01:00 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Can someone clarify if all meet entries have to be made through milesplit? It appeared that MSHSAAs wording on an email sent a few weeks ago was that there are no exceptions to this rule. However, I have heard a few times that this may not be true. Anyone know the official word?
Can someone clarify if all meet entries have to be made through milesplit?

It appeared that MSHSAAs wording on an email sent a few weeks ago was that there are no exceptions to this rule.

However, I have heard a few times that this may not be true.

Anyone know the official word?
03/02/2021 8:34:36 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@btripp0627.flosports We are using TRXC as we had paid fees before the season was scratched last year. My understanding is we send results of our meets into milesplit after completion. We will be able to submit performances as the season goes along. This is the way I understand it. If I am wrong, I hope someone can pop in and tells us with a better explanation. Coach B Sarcoxie HS
@btripp0627.flosports

We are using TRXC as we had paid fees before the season was scratched last year. My understanding is we send results of our meets into milesplit after completion. We will be able to submit performances as the season goes along. This is the way I understand it. If I am wrong, I hope someone can pop in and tells us with a better explanation.

Coach B
Sarcoxie HS
03/02/2021 1:01:10 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
What I can tell you is that both athletic.net and TRXC got the track roster downloads last night from the MSHSAA office. To me, that tells me they are able to handle meet management as they have in the past.
What I can tell you is that both athletic.net and TRXC got the track roster downloads last night from the MSHSAA office. To me, that tells me they are able to handle meet management as they have in the past.
03/03/2021 1:26:52 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
What I found out today is that the downloads sent to TRXC and athletic.net were sent in error. They did not get them today. What ticks me off is that I do entries for my meets using a simple EXCEL file and have never used anybody else to do so. Now I guess I am being told I can no longer do that. That makes no sense to me.
What I found out today is that the downloads sent to TRXC and athletic.net were sent in error. They did not get them today.
What ticks me off is that I do entries for my meets using a simple EXCEL file and have never used anybody else to do so. Now I guess I am being told I can no longer do that. That makes no sense to me.
03/04/2021 9:08:09 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I'm pretty sure they said you can use whoever you want. This isn't about timing meets. It's about results submitted to be used for post season entries. TRXC used to be that hub even though milesplit had results we all looked at. Now since registration for post season has to be done via milesplit, the performances you use for the post season have to be in their database as you are doing entries. I would imagine whoever you use will be sending that information to milesplit as pretty much everyone already did anyway. Now if you time it yourself that may require more work on your part. Please correct me if I'm wrong because I've got meets the first two weeks of the season and want to make sure it's done correctly.
I'm pretty sure they said you can use whoever you want. This isn't about timing meets.

It's about results submitted to be used for post season entries.

TRXC used to be that hub even though milesplit had results we all looked at.

Now since registration for post season has to be done via milesplit, the performances you use for the post season have to be in their database as you are doing entries.

I would imagine whoever you use will be sending that information to milesplit as pretty much everyone already did anyway.

Now if you time it yourself that may require more work on your part.

Please correct me if I'm wrong because I've got meets the first two weeks of the season and want to make sure it's done correctly.
03/04/2021 9:24:54 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
You have to register your meets on milesplit and you have to do entries through milesplit. Once TRXC became the official site, I never submitting any meet results to this site. I did not have to as milesplit would copy and paste from other sites.
You have to register your meets on milesplit and you have to do entries through milesplit.
Once TRXC became the official site, I never submitting any meet results to this site. I did not have to as milesplit would copy and paste from other sites.
03/04/2021 9:43:22 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Make no mistake...this is about money. I talked at length yesterday with one of Missouri's major timing guys. He has spoken to people in another state that is going down this path. Every click on Mo.milesplit is counted and money is collected from advertisers. He also has fears that the "free" subscription could end, where we would have to join milesplit as a paying account just to use registration. He also mentioned the "clicks" for advertising will result in big kickbacks in money to MSHSAA ... the other state talked about amounts as high as $30,000. My personal big problem here is that we are taking money away from local businesses. And very importantly, local businesses that pay taxes that go to the local school district. Many of these local businesses also make donations and purchase advertising for fundraisers to/from their local schools.
Make no mistake...this is about money.

I talked at length yesterday with one of Missouri's major timing guys. He has spoken to people in another state that is going down this path. Every click on Mo.milesplit is counted and money is collected from advertisers. He also has fears that the "free" subscription could end, where we would have to join milesplit as a paying account just to use registration. He also mentioned the "clicks" for advertising will result in big kickbacks in money to MSHSAA ... the other state talked about amounts as high as $30,000.

My personal big problem here is that we are taking money away from local businesses. And very importantly, local businesses that pay taxes that go to the local school district. Many of these local businesses also make donations and purchase advertising for fundraisers to/from their local schools.
03/04/2021 11:20:01 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Two problems that need to be fixed. If you look at current outdoor rankings for 2021, you will see Kingsville as the leaders in several every event. While there is a Kingsville in Missouri, the meet these rankings are based on was from Kingsville, Texas. Also Kingsville does not have a track program at their school. They co-op with Lone Jack and I think they have done so for several years. Second, if you look at the 2019 rankings for C1 boys in the 800, you will see that #4, #6 and #10 are all the same person. You can find other cases just as well.
Two problems that need to be fixed. If you look at current outdoor rankings for 2021, you will see Kingsville as the leaders in several every event. While there is a Kingsville in Missouri, the meet these rankings are based on was from Kingsville, Texas. Also Kingsville does not have a track program at their school. They co-op with Lone Jack and I think they have done so for several years.
Second, if you look at the 2019 rankings for C1 boys in the 800, you will see that #4, #6 and #10 are all the same person. You can find other cases just as well.
03/04/2021 11:33:31 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@Hays The first part is because someone in another state messed up when dehyteking. During the season I do most of that myself, and usually if there are mistakes is by schools with the same name. The second problem is because coaches would enter athletes under three different names on three different sites. For example they Would be "CJ" on MileSplit, Chuck on Anet, and Charles on TRXC. By moving everything to MileSplit this will never happen.
@Hays The first part is because someone in another state messed up when dehyteking. During the season I do most of that myself, and usually if there are mistakes is by schools with the same name.

The second problem is because coaches would enter athletes under three different names on three different sites. For example they Would be "CJ" on MileSplit, Chuck on Anet, and Charles on TRXC. By moving everything to MileSplit this will never happen.
03/04/2021 11:37:39 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@MJO-21 Meet Registration will never have a cost associated with it.
@MJO-21 Meet Registration will never have a cost associated with it.
03/04/2021 12:12:29 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
The names the past several years on TRXC and athletic.net would have been the same as they were supplied from the MSHSAA office. The example of the C1 B800 I referred to was not because of coaches mispelling names as I set up the Norborne meet entries after downloading the MSHSAA rosters via TRXC with the correct registration numbers. The Wellington coach, just like me, sets his own meet entries via the same way. I have never used a site for entries as I, like the Wellington coach, do it ourselves via an EXCEL spreadsheet. The mistakes on the mispelling of Keaton's name was on how this site copied them from TRXC. If you pull those meets up on the TRXC site, the spellings are correct. Is milesplit telling me I am no longer able to do entries? All I need is access to the MSHSAA supplied rosters for the correct registration numbers that eliminates all problems.
The names the past several years on TRXC and athletic.net would have been the same as they were supplied from the MSHSAA office. The example of the C1 B800 I referred to was not because of coaches mispelling names as I set up the Norborne meet entries after downloading the MSHSAA rosters via TRXC with the correct registration numbers. The Wellington coach, just like me, sets his own meet entries via the same way. I have never used a site for entries as I, like the Wellington coach, do it ourselves via an EXCEL spreadsheet. The mistakes on the mispelling of Keaton's name was on how this site copied them from TRXC. If you pull those meets up on the TRXC site, the spellings are correct.
Is milesplit telling me I am no longer able to do entries? All I need is access to the MSHSAA supplied rosters for the correct registration numbers that eliminates all problems.
03/04/2021 2:26:13 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Another problem, and I know this is not your fault just as the Kingsville example, but also on your ranking list for Missouri this year, you have a Benjamin Brake from Parkview HS in Springfield. He graduated in 2019. This Benjamin Brake is from Parkview HS in Georgia. How is milesplit going to stop that from happening? Especially as you say there are several schools with common names like 3 different Liberty's for your ranking list to be correct.
Another problem, and I know this is not your fault just as the Kingsville example, but also on your ranking list for Missouri this year, you have a Benjamin Brake from Parkview HS in Springfield. He graduated in 2019. This Benjamin Brake is from Parkview HS in Georgia. How is milesplit going to stop that from happening? Especially as you say there are several schools with common names like 3 different Liberty's for your ranking list to be correct.
03/04/2021 3:09:43 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@Hays I cannot wait to hear this reasoning?
@Hays
I cannot wait to hear this reasoning?
03/04/2021 3:11:25 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@Hays Those will be corrected in time. This year's rankings I haven't been looking at since we havent had meets. And its not really a system issue there either as far as multiple schools with same name within the same state. Its up to the person dehyteking (normally me) to pick the right one. This isn't a huge deal, I know there are some smaller schools I have a problem with from time to time because I'm not as familiar. I think using one registration platform though will make this easier as Liberty in Wentzville will always show as Liberty (Wentzville) in results, Liberty in Mountain View will always show as Liberty (Mountain View), and OG Liberty will just show as Liberty. Since we are using our reg, it wont be as confusing as Liberty (Wentzville) should never theoretically show up as Liberty in results since they'll be using our files. As with all things there will be speed bumps and learning curves, but I really believe this will be great for everyone moving forward
@Hays Those will be corrected in time. This year's rankings I haven't been looking at since we havent had meets.

And its not really a system issue there either as far as multiple schools with same name within the same state. Its up to the person dehyteking (normally me) to pick the right one. This isn't a huge deal, I know there are some smaller schools I have a problem with from time to time because I'm not as familiar. I think using one registration platform though will make this easier as Liberty in Wentzville will always show as Liberty (Wentzville) in results, Liberty in Mountain View will always show as Liberty (Mountain View), and OG Liberty will just show as Liberty. Since we are using our reg, it wont be as confusing as Liberty (Wentzville) should never theoretically show up as Liberty in results since they'll be using our files.

As with all things there will be speed bumps and learning curves, but I really believe this will be great for everyone moving forward
03/04/2021 3:31:17 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
I have pointed out duplicate entries on the site to admin a couple of times and they are usually fixed as soon as they are pointed out.
I have pointed out duplicate entries on the site to admin a couple of times and they are usually fixed as soon as they are pointed out.
03/04/2021 5:01:46 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
So Ryan, you are telling me that Milesplit is not using MSHSAA school codes or MSHSAA registration numbers for their meet registrations in their roster database? Otherwise you would not have to manually separate out school performances.
So Ryan, you are telling me that Milesplit is not using MSHSAA school codes or MSHSAA registration numbers for their meet registrations in their roster database? Otherwise you would not have to manually separate out school performances.
03/05/2021 8:26:30 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Thanks for the update.
Thanks for the update.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.