Iron deficiency and Runners
10/27/2019 2:47:17 AM
User
SUBSCRIBER
If your runner is dizzy or running drunk near the finish get there ferritin level checked. This test will check their iron and youn often have to tell them you want that test. If you get going and plan to make 4 years of high school running get this checked before it becomes an issue and you spend months trying to get your iron up. Runner pound the iron out by stiking their feet season after season. We had are daughter on multivitamin and it was not enough her levels begin to dip and she has been taking straight iron since early as a sophmore.
If your runner is dizzy or running drunk near the finish get there ferritin level checked.
This test will check their iron and youn often have to tell them you want that test.
If you get going and plan to make 4 years of high school running get this checked before it becomes an issue and you spend months trying to get your iron up. Runner pound the iron out by stiking their feet season after season. We had are daughter on multivitamin and it was not enough her levels begin to dip and she has been taking straight iron since early as a sophmore.
11/26/2019 10:57:21 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@BarnBurner Feel free to use the following research paper if your Doctor's refuse the test, which is very common when the patient has a normal CBC test. [url=https://www.raypec.k12.mo.us/DocumentCenter/View/17581/Swift---Iron-Deficiency-Dissertation-FINAL-COPY-1]Iron Deficiency and Endurance Athletes[/url]
@BarnBurner

Feel free to use the following research paper if your Doctor's refuse the test, which is very common when the patient has a normal CBC test.

Iron Deficiency and Endurance Athletes
11/26/2019 12:46:51 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
My wife is a medial medical lab scientist the one running tests after the order is in. She told them what to order and why! They immediately said ok we will order it and she took daughter to have lab work done. I was mostly posting as FYI because we have seen top level runners every year at big meets in high scoring/advancing positions succomb to low iron. It's sad to see when it can be prevented.
My wife is a medial medical lab scientist the one running tests after the order is in.
She told them what to order and why! They immediately said ok we will order it and she took daughter to have lab work done.

I was mostly posting as FYI because we have seen top level runners every year at big meets in high scoring/advancing positions succomb to low iron. It's sad to see when it can be prevented.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.