District Assignments
09/13/2019 8:28:43 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Well there are some interesting surprises! This doesn't surprise me after the shakeup in track. I'm still disappointed that they didn't do a better job of balancing strong and weak districts, which is where the big problem is regardless of where you are going.
Well there are some interesting surprises! This doesn't surprise me after the shakeup in track. I'm still disappointed that they didn't do a better job of balancing strong and weak districts, which is where the big problem is regardless of where you are going.
09/13/2019 9:03:39 AM
User
SUBSCRIBER
[quote=coachcasa]Well there are some interesting surprises! This doesn't surprise me after the shakeup in track. I'm still disappointed that they didn't do a better job of balancing strong and weak districts, which is where the big problem is regardless of where you are going.[/quote] Agreed! Four of the top ten Class three Girls teams in the rankings are in Dist. #1 plus Desoto hasn't ran yet. So 5 of the top 11. We need to get this fixed. Hopefully next year can be different [5 classes] Also, with the new course and bigger starting line....... there is no reason we couldn't go to 24 teams on the starting line.
coachcasa wrote:

Agreed!
Four of the top ten Class three Girls teams in the rankings are in Dist. #1 plus Desoto hasn't ran yet. So 5 of the top 11. We need to get this fixed. Hopefully next year can be different Also, with the new course and bigger starting line....... there is no reason we couldn't go to 24 teams on the starting line.
09/13/2019 10:22:36 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Just Curious, How is Van Far class 2 in football when class 1 ends with 195 and they are class 1 in cross country?
Just Curious, How is Van Far class 2 in football when class 1 ends with 195 and they are class 1 in cross country?
09/13/2019 10:39:04 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@szoughaib They co-op in football with Community R6 so they have to take their enrollment also for football.
@szoughaib
They co-op in football with Community R6 so they have to take their enrollment also for football.
09/13/2019 10:43:04 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
That makes perfect sense. So a school can coop for one sport and not the other. Interesting?????
That makes perfect sense. So a school can coop for one sport and not the other. Interesting?????
09/13/2019 10:47:35 AM
User
SUBSCRIBER
@JIMKASTEN1 And eventually 4x8 plus at-large choices from big qualifying meets. More in each Class. It’s about the kids not the administrative objectives/challenges. 2 Class races per weekend spells Financial success for the State.
@JIMKASTEN1
And eventually 4x8 plus at-large choices from big qualifying meets. More in each Class. It's about the kids not the administrative objectives/challenges. 2 Class races per weekend spells Financial success for the State.
09/13/2019 11:01:36 AM
User
SUBSCRIBER
Not sure if I'm just missing this somehow but is there is a list of sites for the different District meets posted anywhere?
Not sure if I'm just missing this somehow but is there is a list of sites for the different District meets posted anywhere?
09/13/2019 11:01:49 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Stats for everyone to consider. If you divide the actual teams that ran at least five different athletes last year each class should only have 64 schools. 97 teams in Class 4 ran five kids on the girls side 67 teams in Class 3 " " 63 teams in Class 2 " " 35 teams in Class 1 " " Total 5k finishing athletes for each class on the girls side Class 4 1924 (sectional break down Sec 1 437, Sec 2 631!, Sec 3 376, Sec 4 480) Class 3 just under 900 Class 2 557 Class 1 367 Looking at these numbers it becomes VERY clear what adjustments would need to be done moving to Five classes next year. The brunt of the volume of runners and teams is in one class and shouldn't have the same number of schools to go up against. Especially, when you look at sectional 2 I have heard scuttlebutt that our class five next year will have upwards to 100 schools. This shouldn't happen in XC or track in respects to fairness the numbers just do not support that decision.
Stats for everyone to consider.

If you divide the actual teams that ran at least five different athletes last year each class should only have 64 schools.

97 teams in Class 4 ran five kids on the girls side
67 teams in Class 3 " "
63 teams in Class 2 " "
35 teams in Class 1 " "

Total 5k finishing athletes for each class on the girls side
Class 4 1924 (sectional break down Sec 1 437, Sec 2 631!, Sec 3 376, Sec 4 480)
Class 3 just under 900
Class 2 557
Class 1 367

Looking at these numbers it becomes VERY clear what adjustments would need to be done moving to Five classes next year. The brunt of the volume of runners and teams is in one class and shouldn't have the same number of schools to go up against. Especially, when you look at sectional 2 I have heard scuttlebutt that our class five next year will have upwards to 100 schools. This shouldn't happen in XC or track in respects to fairness the numbers just do not support that decision.
09/13/2019 12:14:19 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@szoughaib I think two schools can coop for any sport provided one of them does not offer the sport. I don't believe any sports are excluded from this, just the two schools have to agree to do it.
@szoughaib I think two schools can coop for any sport provided one of them does not offer the sport. I don't believe any sports are excluded from this, just the two schools have to agree to do it.
09/13/2019 12:24:15 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Once again I'm gonig to voice my problem with waiting this long to post the districts. We have been put in a district and sectional that we have never been in before. Had we known we were going to be there we would have put on our schedulw the two races that are hosted at these two sites during the season. I really wish MSHSAA would consider the needs of teams and athletes with decision making. Between this and the inequity of districts it's the kids that get hurt.
Once again I'm gonig to voice my problem with waiting this long to post the districts. We have been put in a district and sectional that we have never been in before. Had we known we were going to be there we would have put on our schedulw the two races that are hosted at these two sites during the season. I really wish MSHSAA would consider the needs of teams and athletes with decision making. Between this and the inequity of districts it's the kids that get hurt.
09/13/2019 12:36:30 PM
Coach
Pretty much each year in C3, District 1, I have kids who would get out in other districts, but because of the multiple teams that are in the top 10 in state (Festus, Herky, Cape Notre Dame, Potosi, DeSoto, among others depending on the year) that are concentrated in one district, those kids sit home year after year. Its a credit to those programs, who have some of the best coaching in the state, and I know the answer is always to get better, but its very disheartening for the kids to see kids getting out in other districts with the times we run, but it takes a significantly faster time in our district. I know its tough to come up with a right answer, but there has to be a better way.
Pretty much each year in C3, District 1, I have kids who would get out in other districts, but because of the multiple teams that are in the top 10 in state (Festus, Herky, Cape Notre Dame, Potosi, DeSoto, among others depending on the year) that are concentrated in one district, those kids sit home year after year. Its a credit to those programs, who have some of the best coaching in the state, and I know the answer is always to get better, but its very disheartening for the kids to see kids getting out in other districts with the times we run, but it takes a significantly faster time in our district. I know its tough to come up with a right answer, but there has to be a better way.
09/13/2019 1:17:46 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
[quote=CoryD1138]Pretty much each year in C3, District 1, I have kids who would get out in other districts, but because of the multiple teams that are in the top 10 in state (Festus, Herky, Cape Notre Dame, Potosi, DeSoto, among others depending on the year) that are concentrated in one district, those kids sit home year after year. Its a credit to those programs, who have some of the best coaching in the state, and I know the answer is always to get better, but its very disheartening for the kids to see kids getting out in other districts with the times we run, but it takes a significantly faster time in our district. I know its tough to come up with a right answer, but there has to be a better way.[/quote] Amen! I tried proposing some ideas when I was on the advisory board, but it was like banking my head against the wall. There are solutions, but MSHSAA doesn't seem to be interested and there always seems to be push back from some coaches to change as well.
CoryD1138 wrote:

Amen! I tried proposing some ideas when I was on the advisory board, but it was like banking my head against the wall. There are solutions, but MSHSAA doesn't seem to be interested and there always seems to be push back from some coaches to change as well.
09/13/2019 2:35:09 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
[quote=CoryD1138]Pretty much each year in C3, District 1, I have kids who would get out in other districts, but because of the multiple teams that are in the top 10 in state (Festus, Herky, Cape Notre Dame, Potosi, DeSoto, among others depending on the year) that are concentrated in one district, those kids sit home year after year. Its a credit to those programs, who have some of the best coaching in the state, and I know the answer is always to get better, but its very disheartening for the kids to see kids getting out in other districts with the times we run, but it takes a significantly faster time in our district. I know its tough to come up with a right answer, but there has to be a better way.[/quote] You should see some relief next year as Herculaneum and potosis will likely be class 3 while Festus, CND and others should be class 4.
CoryD1138 wrote:

You should see some relief next year as Herculaneum and potosis will likely be class 3 while Festus, CND and others should be class 4.
09/13/2019 2:39:42 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Again my friends the championship numbers DO NOT matter for public schools. Unless Festus and Herky grow in numbers they will remain class 3. The championship thing is for Private schools ONLY.
Again my friends the championship numbers DO NOT matter for public schools. Unless Festus and Herky grow in numbers they will remain class 3. The championship thing is for Private schools ONLY.
09/13/2019 2:46:51 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@szoughaib I think they were referring to schools moving due to the incoming Class 5 causing reorganization across the board
@szoughaib I think they were referring to schools moving due to the incoming Class 5 causing reorganization across the board
09/13/2019 3:02:05 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Thanks R-Taylor and Sorry for the confusion on my part. Next year will be interesting with 5 classes.
Thanks R-Taylor and Sorry for the confusion on my part. Next year will be interesting with 5 classes.
09/13/2019 3:23:20 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
412 Boys programs and 406 girls programs so the 1st time in a long time, class cutoffs were determined by the boys enrollment numbers. Five schools moved from C4 to C3: Warrensburg, Carl Jct., Gateway, Ursuline and Notre Dame de Sion. Two schools moved from C3 to C4: Helias and Van Horn. Five schools moved from C3 to C2: East Newton, Forsyth, Christian, Lawson and Hancock. Five schools moved from C2 to C3: Duchesne, St. Michael, Kaufman, Lamar and Mountain Grove. Four schools moved from C2 to C1: Van-Far, Calvary Lutheran, Seymour and Plato. Three schools moved from C1 to C2: Sparta, Russellvile and West Platte.
412 Boys programs and 406 girls programs so the 1st time in a long time, class cutoffs were determined by the boys enrollment numbers.
Five schools moved from C4 to C3: Warrensburg, Carl Jct., Gateway, Ursuline and Notre Dame de Sion.
Two schools moved from C3 to C4: Helias and Van Horn.
Five schools moved from C3 to C2: East Newton, Forsyth, Christian, Lawson and Hancock.
Five schools moved from C2 to C3: Duchesne, St. Michael, Kaufman, Lamar and Mountain Grove.
Four schools moved from C2 to C1: Van-Far, Calvary Lutheran, Seymour and Plato.
Three schools moved from C1 to C2: Sparta, Russellvile and West Platte.
09/13/2019 3:42:50 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Thanks Mr. Hays.
Thanks Mr. Hays.
09/13/2019 6:51:43 PM
Coach
@CoryD1138 We are in the same boat. As you said, each year there are dominating performances put forth by teams who have worked hard to get to where they are. This is not to diminish their accomplishments, as they are truly admirable, but the frustrating part is that there are rather simple solutions to support kids who work their tails off year after year. We need to modify the way we determine which individuals go to state. Last year in Class 3 District 1, 10 of the top 15 spots on the boys side were from the top 2 teams. On the girls side 9 of the top 15 were from the top 2 teams. If the state were to take the top 10 runners NOT on qualifying teams it would go a long way to create opportunities for those runners unfortunate to be placed in districts that have the best teams in the state. Likewise, if we're truly concerned about parity in class 3 XC, why do we not have a sectional? Each year at least one, and quite often 2-3, of the best teams in the state are not eligible for the state meet. Simply put, the answers are there.
@CoryD1138 We are in the same boat. As you said, each year there are dominating performances put forth by teams who have worked hard to get to where they are. This is not to diminish their accomplishments, as they are truly admirable, but the frustrating part is that there are rather simple solutions to support kids who work their tails off year after year. We need to modify the way we determine which individuals go to state. Last year in Class 3 District 1, 10 of the top 15 spots on the boys side were from the top 2 teams. On the girls side 9 of the top 15 were from the top 2 teams. If the state were to take the top 10 runners NOT on qualifying teams it would go a long way to create opportunities for those runners unfortunate to be placed in districts that have the best teams in the state. Likewise, if we're truly concerned about parity in class 3 XC, why do we not have a sectional? Each year at least one, and quite often 2-3, of the best teams in the state are not eligible for the state meet. Simply put, the answers are there.
09/23/2019 12:31:23 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@jleech It would be nice if we adopted what NCAA DII XC does for team qualifying. If a team from your regional finishes in the top 8 at the National Championship you get an extra birth at your regional meet for the following year. This would help some of the top teams in Class 3 District 1 have a shot at qualifying for state as a team. This wouldn't take away any qualifying spots from other districts. As a former runner at MSSU, our regional had 2-3 extra team qualifying spots each year because of the caliber of athletes in our area.
@jleech It would be nice if we adopted what NCAA DII XC does for team qualifying. If a team from your regional finishes in the top 8 at the National Championship you get an extra birth at your regional meet for the following year. This would help some of the top teams in Class 3 District 1 have a shot at qualifying for state as a team. This wouldn't take away any qualifying spots from other districts.

As a former runner at MSSU, our regional had 2-3 extra team qualifying spots each year because of the caliber of athletes in our area.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.