Help for not getting so nervous before races
04/17/2019 3:19:08 PM
User
I'm just gonna keep this short, before races I get extremely nervous. Like to the point that I can't eat and I almost pass out (before the race) because I'm so hungry. I've always dealt with anxiety but I've got pretty fast times (4:52 1600 for 7th grader) and I feel like I can't do my best. If you guys have any advice, please let me know
I'm just gonna keep this short, before races I get extremely nervous. Like to the point that I can't eat and I almost pass out (before the race) because I'm so hungry. I've always dealt with anxiety but I've got pretty fast times (4:52 1600 for 7th grader) and I feel like I can't do my best. If you guys have any advice, please let me know
04/17/2019 3:28:42 PM
Coach
4:52 as a 7th grader, you don't have much to be nervous about as I would think you would be in the front of most middle school packs!
4:52 as a 7th grader, you don't have much to be nervous about as I would think you would be in the front of most middle school packs!
04/17/2019 4:03:20 PM
User
Thanks man! We've got an 8th grade kid from a nearby school running 4:42 so I've got some competition lol @JoshFreeman
Thanks man! We've got an 8th grade kid from a nearby school running 4:42 so I've got some competition lol @JoshFreeman
04/17/2019 4:08:04 PM
User
And I did the time in practice but I'm so nervous before meets that I can't beat it. If you check my name I've only got a 4:59 @JoshFreeman
And I did the time in practice but I'm so nervous before meets that I can't beat it. If you check my name I've only got a 4:59 @JoshFreeman
04/18/2019 11:14:01 AM
Coach
[quote=Stone Gill]I'm just gonna keep this short, before races I get extremely nervous. Like to the point that I can't eat and I almost pass out (before the race) because I'm so hungry. I've always dealt with anxiety but I've got pretty fast times (4:52 1600 for 7th grader) and I feel like I can't do my best. If you guys have any advice, please let me know[/quote] Welcome the feeling. Embrace it. It's part of you! It means you are concerned. The trick is to learn how to use this nervous energy to help you compete. Seems like you have already learned to do this to some extent given your times. I would be more worried if you got to a race and were not nervous! The more you compete and the more prepared you are, the feeling will probably diminish but may never fully subside. Practice visualizing your race, days in advance. Don't think about it, rather play the race over and over in your head until it seems real. See your races going exactly the way you want them to go; time place, etc. Most importantly, discover new things about yourself, challenge yourself to be better everyday, and HAVE FUN!
Stone Gill wrote:

Welcome the feeling. Embrace it. It's part of you! It means you are concerned. The trick is to learn how to use this nervous energy to help you compete. Seems like you have already learned to do this to some extent given your times. I would be more worried if you got to a race and were not nervous! The more you compete and the more prepared you are, the feeling will probably diminish but may never fully subside. Practice visualizing your race, days in advance. Don't think about it, rather play the race over and over in your head until it seems real. See your races going exactly the way you want them to go; time place, etc. Most importantly, discover new things about yourself, challenge yourself to be better everyday, and HAVE FUN!
04/18/2019 11:49:39 AM
User
SUBSCRIBER
Welcome the feeling. Embrace it. It's part of you! It means you are concerned. The trick is to learn how to use this nervous energy to help you compete. Seems like you have already learned to do this to some extent given your times. I would be more worried if you got to a race and were not nervous! The more you compete and the more prepared you are, the feeling will probably diminish but may never fully subside. Practice visualizing your race, days in advance. Don't think about it, rather play the race over and over in your head until it seems real. See your races going exactly the way you want them to go; time place, etc. Most importantly, discover new things about yourself, challenge yourself to be better everyday, and HAVE FUN![/quote] That's good advice.
Welcome the feeling. Embrace it. It's part of you! It means you are concerned. The trick is to learn how to use this nervous energy to help you compete. Seems like you have already learned to do this to some extent given your times. I would be more worried if you got to a race and were not nervous! The more you compete and the more prepared you are, the feeling will probably diminish but may never fully subside. Practice visualizing your race, days in advance. Don't think about it, rather play the race over and over in your head until it seems real. See your races going exactly the way you want them to go; time place, etc. Most importantly, discover new things about yourself, challenge yourself to be better everyday, and HAVE FUN!

That's good advice.
04/23/2019 10:39:08 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
[quote=palmtree] Welcome the feeling. Embrace it. It's part of you! It means you are concerned. The trick is to learn how to use this nervous energy to help you compete. Seems like you have already learned to do this to some extent given your times. I would be more worried if you got to a race and were not nervous! The more you compete and the more prepared you are, the feeling will probably diminish but may never fully subside. Practice visualizing your race, days in advance. Don't think about it, rather play the race over and over in your head until it seems real. See your races going exactly the way you want them to go; time place, etc. Most importantly, discover new things about yourself, challenge yourself to be better everyday, and HAVE FUN![/quote] That's good advice.[/quote] I completely agree. I often tell my athletes when they are nervous that one day, when their competitive years are behind them, that they will yearn to feel that anxiety again. It's simply the process of your mind preparing your body for the battle ahead. Embrace it. Congrats as well on being a really, really outstanding 7th grade miler. We look forward to seeing you at the state meet in the years ahead!
palmtree wrote:

That's good advice.

I completely agree. I often tell my athletes when they are nervous that one day, when their competitive years are behind them, that they will yearn to feel that anxiety again. It's simply the process of your mind preparing your body for the battle ahead. Embrace it. Congrats as well on being a really, really outstanding 7th grade miler. We look forward to seeing you at the state meet in the years ahead!
04/23/2019 10:47:22 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
24 hour psychological taper. I talk about it in my book. You can find an article I wrote on MF athletic's website highlighting it. Its been very helpful!
24 hour psychological taper. I talk about it in my book. You can find an article I wrote on MF athletic's website highlighting it. Its been very helpful!
05/11/2019 8:07:37 PM
User
@Stone Gill This may not be any help, but... I am 50 years older than you and i STILL get those butterflies before every race. Like the man said, embrace the feeling. It shows you are serious about your sport. Good luck! Keep us posted on your successes.
@Stone Gill
This may not be any help, but...
I am 50 years older than you and i STILL get those butterflies before every race.
Like the man said, embrace the feeling. It shows you are serious about your sport.
Good luck! Keep us posted on your successes.
05/11/2019 10:28:14 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
nova
nova
05/31/2019 11:49:14 PM
User
@jstone Thank you sir! I had a meet last night (Festival of Miles) and ran a 4:53 full mile with a 4:50 1600. Thanks guys! And I think I finally got over the anxiety
@jstone Thank you sir! I had a meet last night (Festival of Miles) and ran a 4:53 full mile with a 4:50 1600. Thanks guys! And I think I finally got over the anxiety
06/02/2019 1:57:28 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@Stone Gill I was there watching! It was a great night!!!
@Stone Gill

I was there watching! It was a great night!!!

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.