Failed Regional XC Proposal
04/12/2019 11:02:24 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
It has come up many times over the years and recently the AD's voted. Here are the results. [b]Question 13: XC Regional re-structure for postseason [/b] Should the KSHSAA structure of four 9-team regionals to a format of two 18-team regionals. One region in the East and one region in the West? Class Yes Yes% No No% 6A 14 47% 16 53% 5A 6 30% 14 70% 4A 2 6% 16 94% TOTAL 22 32% 46 68% [b]FAIL[/b] I assumed this would pass but I was wrong. Perhaps travel is the issue. Interesting. I don't have strong feelings on the issue but curious what others think.
It has come up many times over the years and recently the AD's voted. Here are the results.

Question 13: XC Regional re-structure for postseason

Should the KSHSAA structure of four 9-team regionals to a format of two
18-team regionals. One region in the East and one region in the West?

Class Yes Yes% No No%
6A 14 47% 16 53%
5A 6 30% 14 70%
4A 2 6% 16 94%
TOTAL 22 32% 46 68%

FAIL

I assumed this would pass but I was wrong. Perhaps travel is the issue. Interesting. I don't have strong feelings on the issue but curious what others think.
04/12/2019 12:25:54 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@Wrigs77 I'm guessing travel is a big reason. This is done with wrestling and they have seen in the last few years some teams having to travel a great distance. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Gardner-Edgerton went to Garden City for a wrestling regional (2 day meet) as one example of the travel issue. In my opinion, there is not a "one size fits all" regional assignment system for all classes. Each classification has its unique challenges and balance of power situations. How about just skipping regional and having all 36 teams line up at state and go for it?
@Wrigs77
I'm guessing travel is a big reason. This is done with wrestling and they have seen in the last few years some teams having to travel a great distance. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Gardner-Edgerton went to Garden City for a wrestling regional (2 day meet) as one example of the travel issue.

In my opinion, there is not a "one size fits all" regional assignment system for all classes. Each classification has its unique challenges and balance of power situations. How about just skipping regional and having all 36 teams line up at state and go for it?
04/15/2019 8:20:43 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@Wrigs77, I'd be curious to see a geographic distribution of the votes. Draw the line at, say, Topeka and see what the vote was east of Topeka and what the vote was west of Topeka.
@Wrigs77, I'd be curious to see a geographic distribution of the votes. Draw the line at, say, Topeka and see what the vote was east of Topeka and what the vote was west of Topeka.
05/03/2019 1:31:33 PM
Coach
@jjwannamaker do not want. We did that in louisiana when I was growing up and there were kids running 30+ minutes in the 3 mile that had no business competing in a state meet. State should be a big deal you have to qualify for, not an all comers meet.
@jjwannamaker do not want. We did that in louisiana when I was growing up and there were kids running 30+ minutes in the 3 mile that had no business competing in a state meet. State should be a big deal you have to qualify for, not an all comers meet.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.