Knowing when to do 1st, 2nd, 3rd calls for meet....the struggle is real
04/03/2019 11:29:09 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Does anyone have a template or excel sheet they use to figure out when to call events to the bull pen and not have them wait forever either to start or in the bull pen. I made an excel sheet and I have plunged in times into a formula that I think each heat would take, hurdle set up and so on. You plug in in the number of heats and it gives the times to call for the bull pen for every meet... but it still had kids waiting to long. We defiantly are not waiting around to start events we are ready, but I hate not having an event start 15 minutes after the first call. I would like to get it set up like the below times. 15 mins out first call 10 mins out second call 5 mins out final call 0 mins out start race How does everyone else know when to call events?
Does anyone have a template or excel sheet they use to figure out when to call events to the bull pen and not have them wait forever either to start or in the bull pen.

I made an excel sheet and I have plunged in times into a formula that I think each heat would take, hurdle set up and so on. You plug in in the number of heats and it gives the times to call for the bull pen for every meet... but it still had kids waiting to long.

We defiantly are not waiting around to start events we are ready, but I hate not having an event start 15 minutes after the first call. I would like to get it set up like the below times.

15 mins out first call
10 mins out second call
5 mins out final call
0 mins out start race

How does everyone else know when to call events?
04/04/2019 8:45:09 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Number of heats, typical time it takes to get through a round with the average event in mind can get you in the ballpark but it is a bit of a feel. Two-way radio with press box is very useful with bullpen/head coach to smooth out rough edges. Regards, Ryan Banta
Number of heats, typical time it takes to get through a round with the average event in mind can get you in the ballpark but it is a bit of a feel. Two-way radio with press box is very useful with bullpen/head coach to smooth out rough edges.

Regards,

Ryan Banta
04/04/2019 11:12:12 AM
Coach
I don't think there's necessarily a right answer to it...you kind of have to go with where the field is at and look at the length of the events. Its definitely an imperfect science getting a track meet to run smoothly. I agree, radio communication is a must, as is having someone in the box who is knowledgeable about the track events.
I don't think there's necessarily a right answer to it...you kind of have to go with where the field is at and look at the length of the events. Its definitely an imperfect science getting a track meet to run smoothly. I agree, radio communication is a must, as is having someone in the box who is knowledgeable about the track events.
04/04/2019 2:39:14 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Ultimately, its the responsibility of the athlete to know when their event is and to check in early enough. If you have a time schedule, most go with what you posted(15, 10, 5). However, the state meet requires athletes to stage much earlier than this. If you have a rolling schedule, have an experienced person observe the field, and make subjective calls based on their observations. For meet efficiency, its really nice to have an assistant to the starter, giving the start instructions and lining up the next heat. We generally go with a rolling schedule at our track meets and can complete most meets in 3 hours (give or take 15 minutes if you have extra heats of relays......or if your starter's only pistol breaks and he has to start the rest of the track meet with "Go"). I know its a fan-favorite in Missouri, but taking out the 4x200 would shave 30 minutes off most of the meets we go to. It takes forever to get those runners staged and ready, especially in early-season meets.
Ultimately, its the responsibility of the athlete to know when their event is and to check in early enough.

If you have a time schedule, most go with what you posted(15, 10, 5). However, the state meet requires athletes to stage much earlier than this.

If you have a rolling schedule, have an experienced person observe the field, and make subjective calls based on their observations.

For meet efficiency, its really nice to have an assistant to the starter, giving the start instructions and lining up the next heat.

We generally go with a rolling schedule at our track meets and can complete most meets in 3 hours (give or take 15 minutes if you have extra heats of relays......or if your starter's only pistol breaks and he has to start the rest of the track meet with "Go").

I know its a fan-favorite in Missouri, but taking out the 4x200 would shave 30 minutes off most of the meets we go to. It takes forever to get those runners staged and ready, especially in early-season meets.
04/04/2019 5:56:46 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
For meet efficiency, its really nice to have an assistant to the starter, giving the start instructions and lining up the next heat. AMEN to that. You can take 30 minutes off a meet easy. I don't know that the 4X2 is a fan favorite - Missouri starting running it at the state meet in 1907 and never stopped. Personally, I think it is time to repeal and replace with the 1600 Medley.
For meet efficiency, its really nice to have an assistant to the starter, giving the start instructions and lining up the next heat.
AMEN to that. You can take 30 minutes off a meet easy.
I don't know that the 4X2 is a fan favorite - Missouri starting running it at the state meet in 1907 and never stopped. Personally, I think it is time to repeal and replace with the 1600 Medley.
04/05/2019 8:53:05 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
A good announcer; a good clerk; a good starter; and a good bullpen clerk (numbers assigned for hip/jersey) can move a meet along. In larger meets, we have two clerks setting up heats, in addition to two distributing numbers. We are very fortunate to have an experienced track hand in the press box to announce. We also make sure that if at all possible our starters work a meet prior to the "big meets"--Conference, District, Sectional--so they understand the layout and the field official knows the nuances of the facility. We also commit one coach to specifically work with the starters/timing truck. It's a lot of personnel, but we've been able to get 16 teams thru a meet in 4 hours with 4 entries per gender per event.
A good announcer; a good clerk; a good starter; and a good bullpen clerk (numbers assigned for hip/jersey) can move a meet along. In larger meets, we have two clerks setting up heats, in addition to two distributing numbers. We are very fortunate to have an experienced track hand in the press box to announce. We also make sure that if at all possible our starters work a meet prior to the "big meets"--Conference, District, Sectional--so they understand the layout and the field official knows the nuances of the facility. We also commit one coach to specifically work with the starters/timing truck. It's a lot of personnel, but we've been able to get 16 teams thru a meet in 4 hours with 4 entries per gender per event.
04/05/2019 2:35:34 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
[quote=3xcrunners]we've been able to get 16 teams thru a meet in 4 hours with 4 entries per gender per event. [/quote] Nice! We may need an invite to this meet :)
3xcrunners wrote:
we've been able to get 16 teams thru a meet in 4 hours with 4 entries per gender per event.

Nice! We may need an invite to this meet :)
04/05/2019 2:44:00 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
here is the link of the excel sheet I created. The only things you can change are what's in yellow. I uploaded the excel sheet [url=https://drive.google.com/file/d/18MU1lLI2l5n0kY6PR1Zjnrq7ptc2IO2A/view?usp=sharing]Your text to link here...[/url] If it doesn't work shoot me an email ccraghead@nc.k12.mo.us I also included a picture of the hidden columns I used...column c is what the times I used for each heat. I am open to suggestions on that. I kind of guessed. [url=https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PRFtoDYvuTZJnxjFvyI7hUaHtNWRfq2U/view?usp=sharing]Your text to link here...[/url]
here is the link of the excel sheet I created. The only things you can change are what's in yellow.

I uploaded the excel sheet

Your text to link here...

If it doesn't work shoot me an email ccraghead@nc.k12.mo.us

I also included a picture of the hidden columns I used...column c is what the times I used for each heat. I am open to suggestions on that. I kind of guessed.

Your text to link here...

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.