The addition of Girl's Wrestling
05/10/2018 9:44:16 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
PROPOSAL 18 - (Girls Wrestling) - (PASSED) - 202 FOR, 41 AGAINST Amends By-Laws 5.1, 3.29.6, and 3.30.3.l to separate the currently co-educational sport of wrestling into sex-separated wrestling for both boys and girls. My question is HOW does this affect the balance of sports between boys and girls. Does this mean now there is an option for an additional boy's sport?? Like boy's Lacrosse? Oooooorrrrrr does it mean another sport could be removed from MSHSAA jurisdiction like girl's lacrosse? Does winter color guard no longer being under MSHSAA jurisdiction rest this balance because like wrestling it tends to be a single gender activity even though it is not specifically designed as one? If this does tip the balance I say we push for indoor track and field for boys and club status for girls. I am curious to hear everyone's thoughts on the matter. PS- is there enough interest in girl's wrestling to make an additional sport? In our school district wrestling has very low numbers in three of the four high schools.
PROPOSAL 18 - (Girls Wrestling) - (PASSED) - 202 FOR, 41 AGAINST

Amends By-Laws 5.1, 3.29.6, and 3.30.3.l to separate the currently co-educational sport of wrestling into sex-separated wrestling for both boys and girls.

My question is HOW does this affect the balance of sports between boys and girls. Does this mean now there is an option for an additional boy's sport?? Like boy's Lacrosse? Oooooorrrrrr does it mean another sport could be removed from MSHSAA jurisdiction like girl's lacrosse? Does winter color guard no longer being under MSHSAA jurisdiction rest this balance because like wrestling it tends to be a single gender activity even though it is not specifically designed as one? If this does tip the balance I say we push for indoor track and field for boys and club status for girls.

I am curious to hear everyone's thoughts on the matter.

PS- is there enough interest in girl's wrestling to make an additional sport? In our school district wrestling has very low numbers in three of the four high schools.
05/10/2018 1:11:03 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@bantazmo I can tell you that there is a pretty big interest in girls wrestling at our school, but that's not necessarily surprising as we are a pretty big wrestling school. While I love the idea of indoor track, I don't know how practical the idea is since there are so few venues to run at and it requires travel, which means more expenditures.
@bantazmo I can tell you that there is a pretty big interest in girls wrestling at our school, but that's not necessarily surprising as we are a pretty big wrestling school. While I love the idea of indoor track, I don't know how practical the idea is since there are so few venues to run at and it requires travel, which means more expenditures.
05/10/2018 1:21:21 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
@bantazmo I don't think most coaches are in favor of this. Numbers are down in a lot of areas around the state, and those "male" teams often use females to fill in weight classes where otherwise those spots would be left "open" (obviously, some females are good enough to compete with the guys at high levels and used as varsity all the time). Now, many teams will lose members of their already small team and make dual meets even harder to fill. Plus, schools will have to find more coaches and training areas to accommodate the new sport. It's unfortunate, because there are a lot of VERY good female wrestlers. I just don't see too many schools willing to spend the money for a spotr that struggles to find enough male wrestlers already.
@bantazmo I don't think most coaches are in favor of this. Numbers are down in a lot of areas around the state, and those "male" teams often use females to fill in weight classes where otherwise those spots would be left "open" (obviously, some females are good enough to compete with the guys at high levels and used as varsity all the time). Now, many teams will lose members of their already small team and make dual meets even harder to fill. Plus, schools will have to find more coaches and training areas to accommodate the new sport. It's unfortunate, because there are a lot of VERY good female wrestlers. I just don't see too many schools willing to spend the money for a spotr that struggles to find enough male wrestlers already.
05/11/2018 2:20:24 PM
Coach
Personally I am in favor of it, even though I will probably lose a girl or two from my swim teams. Currently girls only have basketball and perhaps swimming as winter options. This adds another option. Sean Nunn Raytown South
Personally I am in favor of it, even though I will probably lose a girl or two from my swim teams. Currently girls only have basketball and perhaps swimming as winter options. This adds another option.

Sean Nunn
Raytown South
05/14/2018 2:51:11 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I would really love to re-visit Indoor Track in Mo....Mo kiddos are at a disadvantage regarding recruiting because they do not run indoor...this was directly heard from a D1 Coach when recruiting my son....
I would really love to re-visit Indoor Track in Mo....Mo kiddos are at a disadvantage regarding recruiting because they do not run indoor...this was directly heard from a D1 Coach when recruiting my son....
02/14/2020 12:26:07 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Girls Wrestling is here to stay!! Huge sport in MO and growing across the nation....still want to see Winter/Indoor Track though...
Girls Wrestling is here to stay!! Huge sport in MO and growing across the nation....still want to see Winter/Indoor Track though...
02/14/2020 11:59:00 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@knox Girls and Boys wrestling are a completely different sports now correct? There are state team championships in both if what I am reading is correct on the MSHSAA website. Boys have 4 classes and girls right now have 1 class according to the website. Are girls able to wrestle at the boys state meet still?
@knox Girls and Boys wrestling are a completely different sports now correct? There are state team championships in both if what I am reading is correct on the MSHSAA website. Boys have 4 classes and girls right now have 1 class according to the website. Are girls able to wrestle at the boys state meet still?
02/18/2020 9:27:41 AM
User
@lswdistance State is boys state championship and a girls state championship. However, in regular tourneys they could still wrestle each other. Next year, girls cannot wrestle boys at any time, I believe.
@lswdistance State is boys state championship and a girls state championship. However, in regular tourneys they could still wrestle each other. Next year, girls cannot wrestle boys at any time, I believe.
02/18/2020 10:29:07 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@1519945996 True...next year Girls will be stand alone from boys and may have to add another class due to the increase in participation from year to year.
@1519945996 True...next year Girls will be stand alone from boys and may have to add another class due to the increase in participation from year to year.
02/18/2020 1:08:31 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I would love to see a return of indoor track, even if it's an abbreviated season.
I would love to see a return of indoor track, even if it's an abbreviated season.
02/19/2020 9:15:50 AM
User
SUBSCRIBER
[quote=jstone]I would love to see a return of indoor track, even if it's an abbreviated season.[/quote] I agree Coach Stone! Indoor track is awesome!
jstone wrote:

I agree Coach Stone!
Indoor track is awesome!

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.