KU Relays
04/20/2017 9:23:10 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
What event or performance are you looking most forward to at KU Relays?
What event or performance are you looking most forward to at KU Relays?
04/20/2017 12:34:05 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I am most looking forward to finding out how some kids qualified in the 1600 and 3200 that were not among the top 40/24 entries and were also slower than numerous non-qaulifiers that were also entered.
I am most looking forward to finding out how some kids qualified in the 1600 and 3200 that were not among the top 40/24 entries and were also slower than numerous non-qaulifiers that were also entered.
04/20/2017 12:38:43 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@Wrigs77 That is always a great mystery. I have successfully called them out in the past for another event and presented evidence against someone to verify that they were wrongly put in. Thankful for Milesplit that day. I really think the process needs to be more clear and times/marks should be shown with the qualifiers that are released so coaches can challenge them.
@Wrigs77 That is always a great mystery. I have successfully called them out in the past for another event and presented evidence against someone to verify that they were wrongly put in. Thankful for Milesplit that day. I really think the process needs to be more clear and times/marks should be shown with the qualifiers that are released so coaches can challenge them.
04/20/2017 12:41:01 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I'm looking forward to seeing if the weather will cooperate and let us get this meet in "on time." If that's the case, everything else will have its typical excitement.
I'm looking forward to seeing if the weather will cooperate and let us get this meet in "on time." If that's the case, everything else will have its typical excitement.
04/20/2017 12:46:57 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Several of us have emailed KU in regards to the 1600/3200 entries and have received no response.
Several of us have emailed KU in regards to the 1600/3200 entries and have received no response.
04/20/2017 1:32:12 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I hope that others let their voice be heard. A few voices matter and those coaches get favors. Email and challenge marks! Don't just complain about it or throw up your hands and say "that is what KU does". Big brother, so to speak, is watching here on milesplit so I won't say more. Distance coaches will know what I mean. I always look forward to the distance races obviously. How fast will people run, will people try to run fast or just run to win, who will pop a big performance, etc. And, I always look forward to the atmosphere and seeing friends.
I hope that others let their voice be heard. A few voices matter and those coaches get favors. Email and challenge marks! Don't just complain about it or throw up your hands and say "that is what KU does". Big brother, so to speak, is watching here on milesplit so I won't say more. Distance coaches will know what I mean.

I always look forward to the distance races obviously. How fast will people run, will people try to run fast or just run to win, who will pop a big performance, etc. And, I always look forward to the atmosphere and seeing friends.
04/20/2017 1:41:34 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I wish KU would only take times/distances that are on Milesplit. Maybe that would get more host schools to send their results in. I was also perplexed by some of the accepted entries. I guess that's the nature of our sport.
I wish KU would only take times/distances that are on Milesplit. Maybe that would get more host schools to send their results in. I was also perplexed by some of the accepted entries. I guess that's the nature of our sport.
04/20/2017 3:05:59 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
The more proof you can send with your complaints, the better off you are is what I found. In this day and age of databases and easy to find results, the process of accepting entries needs to be transparent and no one should be let in because of lobbying when they do not meet the standard. I am looking forward to the girls 3200 tomorrow with the field being as strong as I think we have ever seen at the KU Relays for a high school event!
The more proof you can send with your complaints, the better off you are is what I found. In this day and age of databases and easy to find results, the process of accepting entries needs to be transparent and no one should be let in because of lobbying when they do not meet the standard.

I am looking forward to the girls 3200 tomorrow with the field being as strong as I think we have ever seen at the KU Relays for a high school event!
04/20/2017 3:15:44 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
The accepted entries debacle goes beyond just coaches lying on entry times. Some of us have actually seen the list of entries and it shows where kids were added to the field despite being well below the cutoff mark and while also passing many others with faster seed times. There is something afoul going on with the committee that accepts the high school entries.
The accepted entries debacle goes beyond just coaches lying on entry times. Some of us have actually seen the list of entries and it shows where kids were added to the field despite being well below the cutoff mark and while also passing many others with faster seed times. There is something afoul going on with the committee that accepts the high school entries.
04/21/2017 12:04:52 AM
Power User
The singular race that I have my eyes on is the showdown between Logue, Born and Venters at 3200. A little perspective: Up until 2015, only three girls in Kansas history had broken 10:30. We could have three IN. THE. SAME. RACE. One of the biggest thing I've always struggled with regarding KU entries is when a kid gets in on a PR from last year but has performances this year that are nowhere near that and the kid is clearly not in the form they were when they ran the PR. I've seen a couple instances of that this year as well. And more than anything, I'm always surprised by some of the better kids who just flat don't run this meet. I'll never understand that.
The singular race that I have my eyes on is the showdown between Logue, Born and Venters at 3200. A little perspective: Up until 2015, only three girls in Kansas history had broken 10:30. We could have three IN. THE. SAME. RACE.

One of the biggest thing I've always struggled with regarding KU entries is when a kid gets in on a PR from last year but has performances this year that are nowhere near that and the kid is clearly not in the form they were when they ran the PR. I've seen a couple instances of that this year as well.

And more than anything, I'm always surprised by some of the better kids who just flat don't run this meet. I'll never understand that.
04/23/2017 4:51:46 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Despite the less than ideal conditions, I thought there were some tremendous performances over the two days at Rock Chalk Park. IMHO the girls 3200 would have to be the race of the weekend due three girls busting that record and cementing their legacies in the KS record books. I was also impressed with Kyler True's 1600. The splits he put out there by himself were what got me. What could he have done with someone near by in the last 600 meters? Good luck to all as we make that final push in the journey to Wichita!
Despite the less than ideal conditions, I thought there were some tremendous performances over the two days at Rock Chalk Park. IMHO the girls 3200 would have to be the race of the weekend due three girls busting that record and cementing their legacies in the KS record books. I was also impressed with Kyler True's 1600. The splits he put out there by himself were what got me. What could he have done with someone near by in the last 600 meters?

Good luck to all as we make that final push in the journey to Wichita!
04/23/2017 8:34:56 PM
Coach
Girls 2k Steeplechase results have linked to the database as 300m hurdles results. Can we get that fixed please?? Thanks!!
Girls 2k Steeplechase results have linked to the database as 300m hurdles results. Can we get that fixed please?? Thanks!!
04/23/2017 10:52:04 PM
Coach
Now the girls 2k steeplechase results are completely missing.
Now the girls 2k steeplechase results are completely missing.
04/24/2017 9:18:08 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I feel like the girls 3200 is one of those races, for athletes and coaches, that we will tell "I was there..........." stories each year. It isn't just the fast times, but the gutsy race from Born pushing from the start, Logue coming from way back to win, and Venters staying in there with a strong finish. There were many story lines- how fast would they run, could Born run away from the field in the 2nd mile, could Logue/Venters catch up?? Just a cool experience. I would also can't help myself but to note that a couple of the guys that were added to the field in what appears to be a personal favor to a coach finished last in their events. I am not condemning the athletes at all, but the people that allowed that/made that happen.
I feel like the girls 3200 is one of those races, for athletes and coaches, that we will tell "I was there..........." stories each year. It isn't just the fast times, but the gutsy race from Born pushing from the start, Logue coming from way back to win, and Venters staying in there with a strong finish. There were many story lines- how fast would they run, could Born run away from the field in the 2nd mile, could Logue/Venters catch up?? Just a cool experience.

I would also can't help myself but to note that a couple of the guys that were added to the field in what appears to be a personal favor to a coach finished last in their events. I am not condemning the athletes at all, but the people that allowed that/made that happen.
04/24/2017 10:21:12 AM
Power User
You're exactly right about the girls 3200 being legendary. Those results will still be marveled at 30 years from now. Even more incredible under much less than ideal conditions. I've promoted what those girls did twice on my FB page because if you still waste your money on the KC Star, you wouldn't even know that three Kansas girls posted the current #5, #6 and #9 times IN THE COUNTRY in the same race.
You're exactly right about the girls 3200 being legendary. Those results will still be marveled at 30 years from now. Even more incredible under much less than ideal conditions. I've promoted what those girls did twice on my FB page because if you still waste your money on the KC Star, you wouldn't even know that three Kansas girls posted the current #5, #6 and #9 times IN THE COUNTRY in the same race.
04/24/2017 10:42:16 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
KC Star coverage was a joke. The reporter was there for two events Girls Steeple and Girls High Jump) on Saturday morning and that is all she wrote about. They at least wrote some nice coverage on those events, but there was so much more going on they could have mentioned.
KC Star coverage was a joke. The reporter was there for two events Girls Steeple and Girls High Jump) on Saturday morning and that is all she wrote about. They at least wrote some nice coverage on those events, but there was so much more going on they could have mentioned.
04/24/2017 10:45:25 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I had all the same thoughts going in. Can Born get away? Can Logue hold on and use her devastating kick? Is it finally Venters turn to win? Because, let's face it, any other decade and Venters is the unconditional star of her time! I found myself cheering for all three girls as the race unfolded. We could all see it was going to be fast from the start. I was worried for Born that she didn't get enough distance between her and Logue. I was worried for Logue that she didn't hang on close enough. And in the middle I truly thought Venters looked the freshest. I believe it's the greatest high school race that I've ever seen! Hats off to everyone in the race!!!
I had all the same thoughts going in. Can Born get away? Can Logue hold on and use her devastating kick? Is it finally Venters turn to win? Because, let's face it, any other decade and Venters is the unconditional star of her time! I found myself cheering for all three girls as the race unfolded. We could all see it was going to be fast from the start. I was worried for Born that she didn't get enough distance between her and Logue. I was worried for Logue that she didn't hang on close enough. And in the middle I truly thought Venters looked the freshest. I believe it's the greatest high school race that I've ever seen! Hats off to everyone in the race!!!
04/24/2017 10:55:49 AM
Power User
@robeo73 Rob, how much must it suck to be Venters? She runs the #9 time in the U.S. and she's only third in the state. She's not even the fastest in Class 6A!
@robeo73

Rob, how much must it suck to be Venters? She runs the #9 time in the U.S. and she's only third in the state. She's not even the fastest in Class 6A!
04/24/2017 3:15:00 PM
Coach
[quote=Zat0pek]The singular race that I have my eyes on is the showdown between Logue, Born and Venters at 3200. A little perspective: Up until 2015, only three girls in Kansas history had broken 10:30. We could have three IN. THE. SAME. RACE. One of the biggest thing I've always struggled with regarding KU entries is when a kid gets in on a PR from last year but has performances this year that are nowhere near that and the kid is clearly not in the form they were when they ran the PR. I've seen a couple instances of that this year as well. And more than anything, I'm always surprised by some of the better kids who just flat don't run this meet. I'll never understand that.[/quote] @Zat0pek You are a prophet sir. WOW!!! 10:09 10:10 10:16. Reasons for such a great race happening: 1. You had a loaded field of very talented runners. 2. Good (not perfect) conditions: cool, fairly low wind, and a fast track. 3. No idiot ruining the race by going out in 66 and pulling everyone out too fast. 4. Great, gutsy racing. Congratulations to the Kansas high school girls on an outstanding race. Sean Nunn Distance coach Raytown South High School Raytown, MO
Zat0pek wrote:
The singular race that I have my eyes on is the showdown between Logue, Born and Venters at 3200. A little perspective: Up until 2015, only three girls in Kansas history had broken 10:30. We could have three IN. THE. SAME. RACE.

One of the biggest thing I've always struggled with regarding KU entries is when a kid gets in on a PR from last year but has performances this year that are nowhere near that and the kid is clearly not in the form they were when they ran the PR. I've seen a couple instances of that this year as well.

And more than anything, I'm always surprised by some of the better kids who just flat don't run this meet. I'll never understand that.

@Zat0pek

You are a prophet sir. WOW!!!

10:09
10:10
10:16.

Reasons for such a great race happening:
1. You had a loaded field of very talented runners.
2. Good (not perfect) conditions: cool, fairly low wind, and a fast track.
3. No idiot ruining the race by going out in 66 and pulling everyone out too fast.
4. Great, gutsy racing.

Congratulations to the Kansas high school girls on an outstanding race.

Sean Nunn
Distance coach
Raytown South High School
Raytown, MO
04/24/2017 9:03:47 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Now it is truly time for the University of Kansas to get their act together and do two things to clean up this meet and make it the marquee event that it really could be. 1) Weed out those on the high school entries committee that are putting in kids that don't belong. It's an embarrassment to the meet and it just serves to devastate the kids. They have to be humiliated out there running so far out the back in races they should not have been in in the first place. 2) Get someone or some people to go through and update their records. They should be truly ashamed and embarrassed with how inaccurate and out of date SO MANY of their records are. It's pathetic.
Now it is truly time for the University of Kansas to get their act together and do two things to clean up this meet and make it the marquee event that it really could be.

1) Weed out those on the high school entries committee that are putting in kids that don't belong. It's an embarrassment to the meet and it just serves to devastate the kids. They have to be humiliated out there running so far out the back in races they should not have been in in the first place.

2) Get someone or some people to go through and update their records. They should be truly ashamed and embarrassed with how inaccurate and out of date SO MANY of their records are. It's pathetic.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.