Most impressive and biggest surprise?
04/10/2017 10:19:07 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Continuing the effort to get the boards moving.......... Looking at early season results, who has turned in the most impressive performance so far? Along those same lines, what has been the biggest positive surprise? I know I haven't looked in enough detail, but things that have jumped out at me: Impressive: Venters 10:26, Robinson 2:15, Green 37.45, Baker 159-4. None of those are surprises, because they come from incredible athletes. But, extremely impressive! Surprises: STA distance boys (mostly because of the coaching limitations), Sam Hankins leading the jav, some of the early fast distance times on the girls list.
Continuing the effort to get the boards moving..........

Looking at early season results, who has turned in the most impressive performance so far?

Along those same lines, what has been the biggest positive surprise?

I know I haven't looked in enough detail, but things that have jumped out at me:

Impressive: Venters 10:26, Robinson 2:15, Green 37.45, Baker 159-4. None of those are surprises, because they come from incredible athletes. But, extremely impressive!

Surprises: STA distance boys (mostly because of the coaching limitations), Sam Hankins leading the jav, some of the early fast distance times on the girls list.
04/10/2017 11:34:22 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Thank you Coach McAtee, it's always good to hear the opinions (good or bad) of someone not legally allowed to be within 500 yards of a high school track meet.
Thank you Coach McAtee, it's always good to hear the opinions (good or bad) of someone not legally allowed to be within 500 yards of a high school track meet.
04/10/2017 11:45:39 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Coach (I use that term loosely) Wrigley- That is only relevant in Canada and I still know in my heart that the team from Quebec used French hard boiled eggs in the egg toss. We ALL agreed to use the traditional American boiling method. They just sat over there, with their smug smiles, first place trophy, eating their croissants when we all knew they cheated. My only crime was defending the competitive nature of the event. Should I have thrown the javelins in their GENERAL direction? If we are being honest, who are we to judge? No one was injured (the guy almost choking on the croissant ended up being just fine). Thou who liveth in a glass house shouldn't throw French hard boiled eggs! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0
Coach (I use that term loosely) Wrigley-

That is only relevant in Canada and I still know in my heart that the team from Quebec used French hard boiled eggs in the egg toss. We ALL agreed to use the traditional American boiling method. They just sat over there, with their smug smiles, first place trophy, eating their croissants when we all knew they cheated. My only crime was defending the competitive nature of the event.

Should I have thrown the javelins in their GENERAL direction? If we are being honest, who are we to judge? No one was injured (the guy almost choking on the croissant ended up being just fine). Thou who liveth in a glass house shouldn't throw French hard boiled eggs! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0
04/10/2017 11:52:12 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
But to answer your questions, I'd agree on much of what you said. It's hard to imagine anything more surprising than a freshman boy leading the boys javelin rankings and with such an impressive throw. So I would rate Hankins and his 185 foot throw as the biggest surprise.
But to answer your questions, I'd agree on much of what you said. It's hard to imagine anything more surprising than a freshman boy leading the boys javelin rankings and with such an impressive throw. So I would rate Hankins and his 185 foot throw as the biggest surprise.
04/10/2017 12:17:20 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
To put a comparison on that Javelin toss, Johannes Swanepoel threw 187-2 as a freshman. Johannes threw 238-4 as a senior to set the state record. It will be interesting to see his progress this year and in the future.
To put a comparison on that Javelin toss, Johannes Swanepoel threw 187-2 as a freshman. Johannes threw 238-4 as a senior to set the state record. It will be interesting to see his progress this year and in the future.
04/10/2017 6:14:19 PM
User
I'd add Born's 2:18 and Melgares' multiple 5:10 or faster 1600s to the impressive list based on how early it is in the season.
I'd add Born's 2:18 and Melgares' multiple 5:10 or faster 1600s to the impressive list based on how early it is in the season.
04/11/2017 2:32:34 PM
Coach
While I am partial to the Robinson 2:15, the performance of the Freshmen was pretty outstanding. I went back and checked his other throws. His other throws were pretty consistant and his big throw was not an anomaly. He had another of 178 and the others were in the high 160's.
While I am partial to the Robinson 2:15, the performance of the Freshmen was pretty outstanding. I went back and checked his other throws. His other throws were pretty consistant and his big throw was not an anomaly. He had another of 178 and the others were in the high 160's.
04/17/2017 11:10:33 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
A vey impressive performance is the Chapman girls 4 x 800 relay. They have one of the best times in the country.
A vey impressive performance is the Chapman girls 4 x 800 relay. They have one of the best times in the country.
04/18/2017 12:55:51 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@kryansmnxc Is that time a misprint? If that time is correct for girls, it would top the current state record held by SM South of 9:20.
@kryansmnxc Is that time a misprint? If that time is correct for girls, it would top the current state record held by SM South of 9:20.
04/18/2017 2:33:07 PM
Power User
Biggest Surprise: Hankins jav Honorable Mention: Wilks' 5:10 and Robinson 2:15 Most Impressive: Venters solo 10:26 in the rain Honorable Mention: Noah Green in general and Aquinas Boys distance depth
Biggest Surprise: Hankins jav
Honorable Mention: Wilks' 5:10 and Robinson 2:15

Most Impressive: Venters solo 10:26 in the rain
Honorable Mention: Noah Green in general and Aquinas Boys distance depth
04/19/2017 9:37:59 AM
User
SUBSCRIBER
The Chapman Girls 4x800 would require an average of 2:17 - 2:18. none of them have a time below 2:30. Best previous time was 10:54. Must be a misprint.
The Chapman Girls 4x800 would require an average of 2:17 - 2:18. none of them have a time below 2:30. Best previous time was 10:54. Must be a misprint.
04/19/2017 9:42:43 AM
User
SUBSCRIBER
Faith Turner Freshman girl from Pittsburg in the 100 with an 11.96.
Faith Turner Freshman girl from Pittsburg in the 100 with an 11.96.
04/19/2017 11:03:35 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
There are a handful of performances that haven't been mentioned yet that I think are pretty darn good. 1. Jordan Hawkins of Buhler with a 10.29 100m 2. Tony Kinser of Hugoton with a 6-10 HJ 3. Colton Springer of Northern Heights with a 48-7.5 TJ Girls: 1. Cailie Logue of Girard with a 2:13.73 800m 2. Rachel Mayberry of Olathe NW with a 12-0 PV 3. Kalli Anderson of Newton with a 11.76 100m (even though it was wind aided) Sadly I think we sometimes leave great athletes like Kyler True, Cailie Logue, Molly Born, Emily Venters and the entire Aquinas Distance crew out of these listings because we've simply grown accustomed to them doing outstanding performances. I also think that many of us Milesplit faithful are distance oriented so I tried to get myself out of my comfort zone with my list. Also I think there have been many "unexpected" performances that weren't great but they were very big PRs that are lost as well. For example, one of my athletes had never broken 5:00 in the mile before he ran a 4:35 in the first meet. But perhaps that should be an entirely different thread. And lastly, Mac and Wrigs, can't you two set aside your petty differences and just get along for once???
There are a handful of performances that haven't been mentioned yet that I think are pretty darn good.
1. Jordan Hawkins of Buhler with a 10.29 100m
2. Tony Kinser of Hugoton with a 6-10 HJ
3. Colton Springer of Northern Heights with a 48-7.5 TJ
Girls:
1. Cailie Logue of Girard with a 2:13.73 800m
2. Rachel Mayberry of Olathe NW with a 12-0 PV
3. Kalli Anderson of Newton with a 11.76 100m (even though it was wind aided)

Sadly I think we sometimes leave great athletes like Kyler True, Cailie Logue, Molly Born, Emily Venters and the entire Aquinas Distance crew out of these listings because we've simply grown accustomed to them doing outstanding performances. I also think that many of us Milesplit faithful are distance oriented so I tried to get myself out of my comfort zone with my list. Also I think there have been many "unexpected" performances that weren't great but they were very big PRs that are lost as well. For example, one of my athletes had never broken 5:00 in the mile before he ran a 4:35 in the first meet. But perhaps that should be an entirely different thread.
And lastly, Mac and Wrigs, can't you two set aside your petty differences and just get along for once???

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.