District/Sectional Start Times
10/31/2016 9:23:46 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
Can anyone give me a reason as to why the 1A-3A District/4A Sectional races were starting at 10am and later? I understand the assumption -- it's late October, it should be nice and cool -- but this is Missouri, people. Missouri doesn't care about your assumptions on the weather. When I got out the door early Saturday morning, it was a beautiful low 70s with a light breeze. When my girls finally toed the line (after a brutal 45 min delay) at 11:45am, the sun was beating down and temps had officially pushed over 80. If you weren't at Big Driver, then you missed a spectacle of epic proportions in the finishing chute in the Sectional 1 girls race. If we are going to have 4 races at a time, then we need to start earlier -- unless there is a great reason for it to be starting this late. I think I join a lot of my colleagues on here when I say that I would rather run early when it could still potentially be cooler on a hot day or just flat out cold than wait until high noon. Also, is it just me and my team's dumb luck, or was this the worst year for weather of all time? It was either 80+ and humid or pouring down rain. I think we had maybe 2 good days of weather out of all 12 different races that we ran.
Can anyone give me a reason as to why the 1A-3A District/4A Sectional races were starting at 10am and later? I understand the assumption -- it's late October, it should be nice and cool -- but this is Missouri, people. Missouri doesn't care about your assumptions on the weather. When I got out the door early Saturday morning, it was a beautiful low 70s with a light breeze. When my girls finally toed the line (after a brutal 45 min delay) at 11:45am, the sun was beating down and temps had officially pushed over 80. If you weren't at Big Driver, then you missed a spectacle of epic proportions in the finishing chute in the Sectional 1 girls race. If we are going to have 4 races at a time, then we need to start earlier -- unless there is a great reason for it to be starting this late. I think I join a lot of my colleagues on here when I say that I would rather run early when it could still potentially be cooler on a hot day or just flat out cold than wait until high noon.

Also, is it just me and my team's dumb luck, or was this the worst year for weather of all time? It was either 80+ and humid or pouring down rain. I think we had maybe 2 good days of weather out of all 12 different races that we ran.
10/31/2016 9:44:27 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Travel probably. There were several schools traveling over 3 hours to Big Driver I know. We left before 6, and still didn't get the the site much before the coaches meeting.
Travel probably. There were several schools traveling over 3 hours to Big Driver I know. We left before 6, and still didn't get the the site much before the coaches meeting.
10/31/2016 9:53:02 AM
Coach
Definitely for travel. Some teams are traveling 2-3+ hours to get to these meets.
Definitely for travel. Some teams are traveling 2-3+ hours to get to these meets.
10/31/2016 10:42:50 AM
Coach
yes, it was brutal. The reason we started at 10am was because a couple of the schools had 150+miles of travel.
yes, it was brutal. The reason we started at 10am was because a couple of the schools had 150+miles of travel.
10/31/2016 11:32:05 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
Yeesh... I didn't think about travel, but that makes sense. Just leave at 5am! You'll get there by 8. Just kidding... I guess my question then is: Can it be helped?
Yeesh... I didn't think about travel, but that makes sense. Just leave at 5am! You'll get there by 8. Just kidding... I guess my question then is: Can it be helped?
10/31/2016 12:13:03 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
It was rough at ours delayed by an hour due to medical emergency. Really tough day.
It was rough at ours delayed by an hour due to medical emergency. Really tough day.
10/31/2016 12:30:14 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
I would love it if Coach Stone from Farmington or House from Northwest would host our sectional every year
I would love it if Coach Stone from Farmington or House from Northwest would host our sectional every year
10/31/2016 12:52:00 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I said that very thing to Coach Stone, lol. He said...maybe.
10/31/2016 12:59:15 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
Washington did a great job. I just like flat courses. To much track and field in my blood.
Washington did a great job. I just like flat courses. To much track and field in my blood.
10/31/2016 1:29:10 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
I think Washington did a great job hosting, too, no question. Weather can't be helped, but the ability to start earlier can. I'm just not a huge fan of the super district/super sectional set up either, but I assume that's probably a function of TRXC taking over all of the timing considering it's much easier to be at 14 places on one day than 28. But this isn't the first time we've seen postseason races affected by summer-esque conditions.
I think Washington did a great job hosting, too, no question. Weather can't be helped, but the ability to start earlier can. I'm just not a huge fan of the super district/super sectional set up either, but I assume that's probably a function of TRXC taking over all of the timing considering it's much easier to be at 14 places on one day than 28. But this isn't the first time we've seen postseason races affected by summer-esque conditions.
10/31/2016 1:38:20 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Jackson has offered year after year. Have been told that many teams don't like to travel. We have hosted a Sectional in the past...and that was after 13+ inches of rain had fallen in 36 hours, which obviously was quite a rare occurrence. There are several sites available.
Jackson has offered year after year. Have been told that many teams don't like to travel. We have hosted a Sectional in the past...and that was after 13+ inches of rain had fallen in 36 hours, which obviously was quite a rare occurrence. There are several sites available.
10/31/2016 2:12:59 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Washington did a fine job. It is just a long way for everyone in class 2 district 1 as well as the Southeast Missouri schools in Sectional 1.
Washington did a fine job. It is just a long way for everyone in class 2 district 1 as well as the Southeast Missouri schools in Sectional 1.
10/31/2016 2:28:02 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
[quote=RyanLayton]I said that very thing to Coach Stone, lol. He said...maybe.[/quote] @RyanLayton Did I? :) Just kidding. Washington did a fine job under a difficult set of circumstances. I applaud them for a well run meet. I know travel times were a real concern for some folks. That is understandable for sure. Barring something unforeseen, I would consider hosting next year. I have been hesitant the last couple of years largely because after busting our butts and doing what most felt was a decent job hosting a couple years ago, we had to listen to a boat load of complaining from several schools about everything from the amount of gravel on the course to the length of our final straightaway to the firmness of the mulch on our trail along the river. The amount of drama that surrounded last year's sectional meet in Festus didn't do much to make me want to host it again this year either. I'll certainly give it some serious thought and consideration. I appreciate that most of you think we do a good job putting on meets. I recognize the benefits of having a centrally located school in such a large geographic area, and there aren't many options that are centrally located. See you all this weekend! Best of luck to each of you!
RyanLayton wrote:

@RyanLayton

Did I? :) Just kidding. Washington did a fine job under a difficult set of circumstances. I applaud them for a well run meet. I know travel times were a real concern for some folks. That is understandable for sure.

Barring something unforeseen, I would consider hosting next year. I have been hesitant the last couple of years largely because after busting our butts and doing what most felt was a decent job hosting a couple years ago, we had to listen to a boat load of complaining from several schools about everything from the amount of gravel on the course to the length of our final straightaway to the firmness of the mulch on our trail along the river. The amount of drama that surrounded last year's sectional meet in Festus didn't do much to make me want to host it again this year either.

I'll certainly give it some serious thought and consideration. I appreciate that most of you think we do a good job putting on meets. I recognize the benefits of having a centrally located school in such a large geographic area, and there aren't many options that are centrally located.

See you all this weekend! Best of luck to each of you!
10/31/2016 10:16:52 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
If this has any impact J. Stone, our kids and coaches love the Farmington course.
If this has any impact J. Stone, our kids and coaches love the Farmington course.
11/01/2016 8:23:51 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Is Perryville too far to travel?
Is Perryville too far to travel?

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.