Trivia Question, just for fun
10/14/2016 4:22:03 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
Name two people who were born on the same day, date, and year; were married on the same day, date, and year; and won Olympic gold medals on the same day, date, and year.
Name two people who were born on the same day, date, and year; were married on the same day, date, and year; and won Olympic gold medals on the same day, date, and year.
10/14/2016 6:09:30 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Hal and Olga Connolly got at least one of the three and maybe they got they gold medals the same day but I got shot down on their birthdays.
Hal and Olga Connolly got at least one of the three and maybe they got they gold medals the same day but I got shot down on their birthdays.
10/16/2016 12:19:17 AM
Coach
I think it was Emil Zatopek and his wife Dana.
I think it was Emil Zatopek and his wife Dana.
10/16/2016 9:32:19 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@potosicc Looks like a winner. Zatopek was the best man at Hal and Olga's wedding.
@potosicc
Looks like a winner. Zatopek was the best man at Hal and Olga's wedding.
10/16/2016 8:25:36 PM
User
I never stuck with the search function long enough to find the winning answer. I did spend a good half hour reading about gymnasts and spouses Bart Connor and his wife, Nadia Comanici.
I never stuck with the search function long enough to find the winning answer.

I did spend a good half hour reading about gymnasts and spouses Bart Connor and his wife, Nadia Comanici.
10/17/2016 9:30:45 AM
User
SUBSCRIBER
Kudos to all! The Zatopeks are the answer, and there is indeed a strong connection to the Connollys. I recently finished a new biography of Emil Zatopek, "Today We Die a Little." The title comes from a jovial comment he made to the marathon field before the start of the 1956 Olympic marathon in Melbourne, when temps were forecast to rise to 35 Centigrade during the race. The book is even better at detailing the travails that beset Emil and Dana off the track than it is at describing Emil's grueling app[roach to training. There was much I did not know about the Zatopeks. Emil was not on the plane with Dana that left Czechoslovakia in 1952 for the Helsinki Olympics. Emil told the Czech authorities that if his teammate who had his travel credentials revoked wasn't going, he wasn't going. The teammate's father had recently been arrested for political reasons. The authorities blinked, and planned to discipline Zatopek, who was a Czech army officer, on his return from Helsinki. When he won the 5K, 10K, and marathon in Helsinki, the disciplinary plans were scuttled. He was said to be able to converse with competitors in 8 languages. I thought that I knew a famous Zatopek quote, "if you want to run like me, train like me." I did not see it anywhere in the book and can't find it on Google, so maybe I made it up. He apparently really did 400 repeats with as many as 100 in a session on rare occasion. He called 100X400 a "horse dose."
Kudos to all! The Zatopeks are the answer, and there is indeed a strong connection to the Connollys. I recently finished a new biography of Emil Zatopek, "Today We Die a Little." The title comes from a jovial comment he made to the marathon field before the start of the 1956 Olympic marathon in Melbourne, when temps were forecast to rise to 35 Centigrade during the race. The book is even better at detailing the travails that beset Emil and Dana off the track than it is at describing Emil's grueling app[roach to training. There was much I did not know about the Zatopeks. Emil was not on the plane with Dana that left Czechoslovakia in 1952 for the Helsinki Olympics. Emil told the Czech authorities that if his teammate who had his travel credentials revoked wasn't going, he wasn't going. The teammate's father had recently been arrested for political reasons. The authorities blinked, and planned to discipline Zatopek, who was a Czech army officer, on his return from Helsinki. When he won the 5K, 10K, and marathon in Helsinki, the disciplinary plans were scuttled. He was said to be able to converse with competitors in 8 languages. I thought that I knew a famous Zatopek quote, "if you want to run like me, train like me." I did not see it anywhere in the book and can't find it on Google, so maybe I made it up. He apparently really did 400 repeats with as many as 100 in a session on rare occasion. He called 100X400 a "horse dose."
10/17/2016 12:39:21 PM
Power User
@kcolter That was a great book, if anyone hasn't read it I highly recommend it!
@kcolter
That was a great book, if anyone hasn't read it I highly recommend it!
10/17/2016 3:19:26 PM
Coach
Looks like a great read. Still a little too pricey for me. Should be some used copies available in a few more months for $5 or less. Funny, Dr. Colter, I was just explaining the history of endurance training to my 15 year old daughter, and she seemed genuinely interested. I was ashamed that I couldn't remember if Zatopek ran in the 1930's, 1940's, or 1950's. He was the pioneer of interval training, right? Does that mean Zamparini never ran intervals? Sean Nunn Raytown South
Looks like a great read. Still a little too pricey for me. Should be some used copies available in a few more months for $5 or less.

Funny, Dr. Colter, I was just explaining the history of endurance training to my 15 year old daughter, and she seemed genuinely interested. I was ashamed that I couldn't remember if Zatopek ran in the 1930's, 1940's, or 1950's. He was the pioneer of interval training, right? Does that mean Zamparini never ran intervals?

Sean Nunn
Raytown South
10/17/2016 3:52:03 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
@seannunn Emil Zatopek was born in 1922. He started running in his teens. First Olympics was the 1948 games in London. He won the three distance events in Helsinki in 1952. His last Olympics was the Melbourne games in 1956. I can't answer whether runners prior to Zatopek were running intervals (even if they called them something else.) They had to be doing some kind of quality training. You have to wonder what pace Zatopek could possibly have been doing 40X400, 60X400, or 100X400 at. I can't imagine it was any faster than "cruise interval" pace. Could he have run that many at his ten mile race pace?
@seannunn
Emil Zatopek was born in 1922. He started running in his teens. First Olympics was the 1948 games in London. He won the three distance events in Helsinki in 1952. His last Olympics was the Melbourne games in 1956. I can't answer whether runners prior to Zatopek were running intervals (even if they called them something else.) They had to be doing some kind of quality training. You have to wonder what pace Zatopek could possibly have been doing 40X400, 60X400, or 100X400 at. I can't imagine it was any faster than "cruise interval" pace. Could he have run that many at his ten mile race pace?
10/17/2016 3:58:54 PM
Coach
@kcolter I did read or hear somewhere that not all of Zatopek's intervals were "hard". So perhaps 100x400 was actually more like 50x(400m at 10 mile pace + 400m recovery). Still a crazy hard workout to be sure (just the distance of nearly 25 miles is a lot of running), but not beyond comprehension when you look at some of the stuff some of the Kenyans have done. Sean Nunn
@kcolter

I did read or hear somewhere that not all of Zatopek's intervals were "hard". So perhaps 100x400 was actually more like 50x(400m at 10 mile pace + 400m recovery). Still a crazy hard workout to be sure (just the distance of nearly 25 miles is a lot of running), but not beyond comprehension when you look at some of the stuff some of the Kenyans have done.

Sean Nunn
10/23/2016 9:09:09 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Got my snail mail copy of Track&Field News on Friday and on page 41,in reply to a letter noting that Zatopek's time in the 10K in Helsinki in 52 was 29:17.0 where Almaz Ayana's world record time in Rio was 29:17.45, was a comment from the editor about Zatopek and his wife as referenced to your trivia question. Did they plagiarize from you?
Got my snail mail copy of Track&Field News on Friday and on page 41,in reply to a letter noting that Zatopek's time in the 10K in Helsinki in 52 was 29:17.0 where Almaz Ayana's world record time in Rio was 29:17.45, was a comment from the editor about Zatopek and his wife as referenced to your trivia question.
Did they plagiarize from you?

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.