Kid with Ferritin issues -- is there another Dr. who could help?
08/01/2016 9:51:59 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
So I have another ferritin question for you all. I know Dr. Coulter has retired, so I'm not sure where to point an athlete. I have a senior girl. She had a great run from 7-9th grades, but her ferritin crashed near the end of her freshman track season, and nothing has helped since. She's spent the last two plus years dedicatedly taking the Proferrin ES. Her number has rarely topped 20, and has stayed in the teens most of this time. Her mother is ready to talk to someone who might give serious consideration to an infusion, but none of our local doctors will even consider it because her numbers technically fall in the "normal" range. Is there another doctor out there that any of you have sent athletes to who will examine this young lady who you believe would at least consider other treatments? I feel terrible for her. She wanted to quit last year after yet another slow and disappointing season, but I talked her into staying out. I'm trying to do anything I can to at least give her a chance. Any help would be appreciated.
So I have another ferritin question for you all. I know Dr. Coulter has retired, so I'm not sure where to point an athlete.

I have a senior girl. She had a great run from 7-9th grades, but her ferritin crashed near the end of her freshman track season, and nothing has helped since. She's spent the last two plus years dedicatedly taking the Proferrin ES. Her number has rarely topped 20, and has stayed in the teens most of this time. Her mother is ready to talk to someone who might give serious consideration to an infusion, but none of our local doctors will even consider it because her numbers technically fall in the "normal" range.

Is there another doctor out there that any of you have sent athletes to who will examine this young lady who you believe would at least consider other treatments? I feel terrible for her. She wanted to quit last year after yet another slow and disappointing season, but I talked her into staying out. I'm trying to do anything I can to at least give her a chance. Any help would be appreciated.
08/04/2016 6:42:59 PM
Coach
I wish I had a Dr. to recommend. I don't. I have found that many doctors get insulted when a runner asks for a ferritin test and then tells them they do not need one. Or if they do a test it is just for total blood count. If, amazingly, we get an actual ferritin test done, I rarely get an actual ferritin number. Usually it is just a " My doctor says I am fine."
I wish I had a Dr. to recommend. I don't. I have found that many doctors get insulted when a runner asks for a ferritin test and then tells them they do not need one. Or if they do a test it is just for total blood count. If, amazingly, we get an actual ferritin test done, I rarely get an actual ferritin number. Usually it is just a " My doctor says I am fine."
08/04/2016 9:49:38 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
Coach Rumors of my demise are greatly exaggerated. I am still trying to assist runners with medical issues. Drop me a note at coltmenk@hotmail.com. I can't seem to figure out how to send a note through the messaging system on momilesplit anymore. I just lost a long response I typed to cyber gremlins. Hate it when that happens.
Coach
Rumors of my demise are greatly exaggerated. I am still trying to assist runners with medical issues. Drop me a note at coltmenk@hotmail.com. I can't seem to figure out how to send a note through the messaging system on momilesplit anymore. I just lost a long response I typed to cyber gremlins. Hate it when that happens.
08/14/2016 11:26:28 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
This is very common especially in young girls...Just have it tested by their pediatrician and based on the results they will need tablets or shots to bring it to normal ...Every kid at this age should have it checked and take iron to prevent it...We've seen a ton of kids especially young girls have issues with ferritin(iron)...My son takes iron daily...
This is very common especially in young girls...Just have it tested by their pediatrician and based on the results they will need tablets or shots to bring it to normal ...Every kid at this age should have it checked and take iron to prevent it...We've seen a ton of kids especially young girls have issues with ferritin(iron)...My son takes iron daily...

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.