Coaches survey results and a question
12/02/2015 10:49:48 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I just saw this year's survey results. As always, it is surprising to see how few coaches take the time to respond. I love the sport and all it has to offer and feel fortunate to be involved. It is hard for me to understand why others don't feel the same way. Extending the season by a week has popped up several times over the last few years. This year it received an overwhelming no vote in classes 1A - 4A. I haven't heard any of the arguments against extending the week a season. Could anyone explain their thoughts/reasons against a longer season?
I just saw this year's survey results. As always, it is surprising to see how few coaches take the time to respond. I love the sport and all it has to offer and feel fortunate to be involved. It is hard for me to understand why others don't feel the same way.

Extending the season by a week has popped up several times over the last few years. This year it received an overwhelming no vote in classes 1A - 4A. I haven't heard any of the arguments against extending the week a season. Could anyone explain their thoughts/reasons against a longer season?
12/02/2015 12:10:29 PM
Coach
Great question. I would like to piggy back on it and ask if anyone has any ideas why participation is so low. Only 26% of 1A, 28% of 2A, and 27% of 3A participated. The numbers in 4A-6A are better, but still not stellar with 56% of 4A, 65% of 5A, and 65% of 6A participating. One could assume, I guess, that it is the coaches who have the most invested who are responding, but as it is, less than 40% of the coaching population is making the decisions for everyone.
Great question. I would like to piggy back on it and ask if anyone has any ideas why participation is so low. Only 26% of 1A, 28% of 2A, and 27% of 3A participated. The numbers in 4A-6A are better, but still not stellar with 56% of 4A, 65% of 5A, and 65% of 6A participating. One could assume, I guess, that it is the coaches who have the most invested who are responding, but as it is, less than 40% of the coaching population is making the decisions for everyone.
12/02/2015 4:03:02 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I don't think it is a coincidence that a small percentage of coaches take the time to participate in the post season survey and a small number of teams win the majority of the state meet trophies year after year.
I don't think it is a coincidence that a small percentage of coaches take the time to participate in the post season survey and a small number of teams win the majority of the state meet trophies year after year.
12/04/2015 11:44:41 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I would bet that the percentage of votes would be about the same as the percentage of coaches that have an off-season conditioning program and also with the percentage of coaches that go to clinics in their "off-season".
I would bet that the percentage of votes would be about the same as the percentage of coaches that have an off-season conditioning program and also with the percentage of coaches that go to clinics in their "off-season".
12/04/2015 2:38:38 PM
User
Are the coaches' survey results published somewhere that non-coaches can see the results?
Are the coaches' survey results published somewhere that non-coaches can see the results?
12/04/2015 5:25:26 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
The survey results were sent in an email and they don't copy and past well so I'll be adding them here gradually as I have time. There were 6 total questions. I'm adding my 2 cents to each issues as well. Just my opinions on the issues, definitely doesn't mean I'm right. [b]Question #1: Would you be in favor of extending the cross country season by one week with the state meet falling on the Saturday of calendar week #18 in the KSHSAA calendar? [/b] ------YES--NO---percent for 1A-----9---16---36% 2A-----7---11---39% 3A-----6---11---36% 4A----10---26---28% 5A----12---10---55% 6A----16----5---76% [b]Total--60--79---43%[/b] *I voted YES for the longer season. I think XC is just way too short, especially the JV season. I know some people want to add a week and put it between regionals and state. While I definitely understand that logic it still does nothing to add to the majority of kids that run C-team and JV. [b]Question #2: Would you be in favor of making the 7th and 8th grade maximum distance 3200 meters?[/b] -------YES---NO---percent for [b]Total---87---62---63%[/b] *This one surprised me. Perhaps the girls succeeding at 5k was eye opening for some folks. However, still interesting to note that just one year removed from 4k the Minnesota 7th grade girls were running 5k this year. Meanwhile we're fighting for 3200m. I'm not saying 5k for 7th grade is right. Just that I find this whole thing very interesting. I voted YES. [b]Question #3: Would you be in favor of any team that qualifies for state receiving a plaque?[/b] ------YES---NO---percent for 1A----15----10----60% 2A----13-----5----72% 3A----13-----4----76% 4A----25----11----69% 5A----11----11----50% 6A----12-----9----57% [b]Total-89----50----64%[/b] *I voted NO on this one because I think too many teams are satisfied just to qualify for state. Half the teams (or more) at the state meet in every class pose no threat whatsoever because the teams show up and they've already accomplished their goals. I am out of time for now. I'll be back later to add the results of the other 3 questions. [b]Question #4: Would you be in favor of qualifying 4 teams to state from each regional?[/b] ------YES---NO---percent for [b]Question #5: (4A only) Would you like to see 4A Cross Country split into two division, as football, basketball, volleyball, baseball, and softball have done?[/b] [b]Question #6: (1A only) Would you like to see 1A have 2 regional meetsand qualify the top 6 teams and the top 10 not on a qualifying team?[/b]
The survey results were sent in an email and they don't copy and past well so I'll be adding them here gradually as I have time. There were 6 total questions. I'm adding my 2 cents to each issues as well. Just my opinions on the issues, definitely doesn't mean I'm right.

Question #1: Would you be in favor of extending the cross country season by one week with the state meet falling on the Saturday of calendar week #18 in the KSHSAA calendar?

------YES--NO---percent for
1A-----9---16---36%
2A-----7---11---39%
3A-----6---11---36%
4A----10---26---28%
5A----12---10---55%
6A----16----5---76%
Total--60--79---43%
*I voted YES for the longer season. I think XC is just way too short, especially the JV season. I know some people want to add a week and put it between regionals and state. While I definitely understand that logic it still does nothing to add to the majority of kids that run C-team and JV.

Question #2: Would you be in favor of making the 7th and 8th grade maximum distance 3200 meters?
-------YES---NO---percent for
Total---87---62---63%
*This one surprised me. Perhaps the girls succeeding at 5k was eye opening for some folks. However, still interesting to note that just one year removed from 4k the Minnesota 7th grade girls were running 5k this year. Meanwhile we're fighting for 3200m. I'm not saying 5k for 7th grade is right. Just that I find this whole thing very interesting. I voted YES.

Question #3: Would you be in favor of any team that qualifies for state receiving a plaque?
------YES---NO---percent for
1A----15----10----60%
2A----13-----5----72%
3A----13-----4----76%
4A----25----11----69%
5A----11----11----50%
6A----12-----9----57%
Total-89----50----64%
*I voted NO on this one because I think too many teams are satisfied just to qualify for state. Half the teams (or more) at the state meet in every class pose no threat whatsoever because the teams show up and they've already accomplished their goals.

I am out of time for now. I'll be back later to add the results of the other 3 questions.

Question #4: Would you be in favor of qualifying 4 teams to state from each regional?
------YES---NO---percent for

Question #5: (4A only) Would you like to see 4A Cross Country split into two division, as football, basketball, volleyball, baseball, and softball have done?

Question #6: (1A only) Would you like to see 1A have 2 regional meetsand qualify the top 6 teams and the top 10 not on a qualifying team?
12/04/2015 11:56:20 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I agree with you Wrigs on the first vote, but I consider it our responsibility as coaches to create a culture that promotes athletes to be part of our program year-round. The kids that DO buy into the program will show up all summer, winter and do track in the spring too. Distance running is wonderful sport to coach because the rules allow us to be part of their training nearly year round. So I really don't see this as a big deal. The vote for the 7th & 8th grade 3200m confuses me. 37% of coaches voted against it. The vote isn't FORCING EVERYONE to run a 3200m, it is simply providing the option for schools & meets to do it. I wish I wasn't surprised that people vote to increase the number of trophies and medals. EVERYONE gets a medal. The 4th vote "Would you be in favor of qualifying 4 teams to state from each regional?" went... YES NO Percent for 1A 9 16 36% 2A 4 14 22% 3A 12 5 71% 4A 22 14 61% 5A 11 11 50% 6A 18 3 86% Total 76 63 55% This is a weird topic for me because i'm torn in 2 directions. When it comes to qualifying for state, my BIGGEST issue is about making sure the BEST teams are making it to state! this WOULD do something to help that but my other issue is that I want "qualifying" for state to be meaningful! the more teams that qualify for state the less meaning it has for the teams that did.
I agree with you Wrigs on the first vote, but I consider it our responsibility as coaches to create a culture that promotes athletes to be part of our program year-round. The kids that DO buy into the program will show up all summer, winter and do track in the spring too. Distance running is wonderful sport to coach because the rules allow us to be part of their training nearly year round. So I really don't see this as a big deal.

The vote for the 7th & 8th grade 3200m confuses me. 37% of coaches voted against it. The vote isn't FORCING EVERYONE to run a 3200m, it is simply providing the option for schools & meets to do it.

I wish I wasn't surprised that people vote to increase the number of trophies and medals. EVERYONE gets a medal.

The 4th vote "Would you be in favor of qualifying 4 teams to state from each regional?" went...
YES NO Percent for
1A 9 16 36%
2A 4 14 22%
3A 12 5 71%
4A 22 14 61%
5A 11 11 50%
6A 18 3 86%
Total 76 63 55%

This is a weird topic for me because i'm torn in 2 directions. When it comes to qualifying for state, my BIGGEST issue is about making sure the BEST teams are making it to state! this WOULD do something to help that but my other issue is that I want "qualifying" for state to be meaningful! the more teams that qualify for state the less meaning it has for the teams that did.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.