5krun deadline
08/19/2015 10:52:27 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
I've gotten different answers, but when is the cutoff for Kansas middle and high school runners to do non-school races? I was told Labor Day the cutoff since schools started at different times, which made sense. Then I was told it was when school started, but that seemed odd since at most schools sports don't begin in the first week and a kid might not even plan on running. Or what if a kid joined XC after getting cut from another sport.
I've gotten different answers, but when is the cutoff for Kansas middle and high school runners to do non-school races?

I was told Labor Day the cutoff since schools started at different times, which made sense.

Then I was told it was when school started, but that seemed odd since at most schools sports don't begin in the first week and a kid might not even plan on running. Or what if a kid joined XC after getting cut from another sport.
08/21/2015 12:30:47 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@HueyCounts Kids are allowed to compete in outside events (road races, etc) until and including Labor day.
@HueyCounts Kids are allowed to compete in outside events (road races, etc) until and including Labor day.
08/26/2015 11:43:54 AM
User
SUBSCRIBER
@robeo73 Thanks. I thought that was correct. Can they accept awards for winning? A middle school XC girl won the 1-mile race at a Glow Run on Saturday night, but was told by her coach that she could not accept the trophy.
@robeo73

Thanks. I thought that was correct.

Can they accept awards for winning? A middle school XC girl won the 1-mile race at a Glow Run on Saturday night, but was told by her coach that she could not accept the trophy.
08/26/2015 12:51:05 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Yes, they can accept medals and trophies.
Yes, they can accept medals and trophies.
08/27/2015 10:31:19 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Here is the rule on outside competition from the KSHSAA website: [b]Rule 22 - Outside Competition[/b] [i]Members of a school cross country team may not compete, enter or run along in road races, fun runs or fund-raising runs while a member of the school team during the school year. Team members should be reminded they cannot participate in fall festival runs, breast cancer awareness runs or other events while a member of the school team.[/i]
Here is the rule on outside competition from the KSHSAA website:

Rule 22 - Outside Competition
Members of a school cross country team may not compete, enter or run along in road races, fun runs or fund-raising runs while a member of the school team during the school year. Team members should be reminded they cannot participate in fall festival runs, breast cancer awareness runs or other events while a member of the school team.
08/28/2015 9:11:40 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Here is info that was posted to the KSHSAA XC page with some rule interpretations and clarifications a few weeks back: [b]No Road Races During Season[/b] Outside competition Rule 22 states: “A student who is a member of a school athletic squad effective Tuesday following Labor Day through Friday preceding Memorial Day may not participate as a member of an outside team or as an independent competitor in the same sport.” August 17 is the first day of practice for cross country runners. Because the KSHSAA definition of school year begins the Tuesday after Labor Day it is possible a student/athlete practicing with the school team could participate in a road race or other competition while on the school team. If a student plans to do so they should notify the school coach as it may affect the training regimen they have for that athlete. Color runs because they do not have a timing aspect are not considered a violation. [b]Awards and Amateur Rules (Rule 20 and 22)[/b] If members of the cross country team compete in off season races, remember KSHSAA rules prohibit student athletes from accepting prizes. Many “road races” offer cash or merchandise prizes such as shoes, caps, gift certificates for meals, movies, etc. runners should check with the school coach and administration before entering and running in these events. Students who participate in athletic activities, outside of interscholastic competition, shall not accept awards of cash or merchandise. Medals, trophies, and T-shirts shall not be considered merchandise.”
Here is info that was posted to the KSHSAA XC page with some rule interpretations and clarifications a few weeks back:
No Road Races During Season
Outside competition Rule 22 states: "A student who is a member of a school athletic squad effective Tuesday following Labor Day through Friday preceding Memorial Day may not participate as a member of an outside team or as an independent competitor in the same sport." August 17 is the first day of practice for cross country runners. Because the KSHSAA definition of school year begins the Tuesday after Labor Day it is possible a student/athlete practicing with the school team could participate in a road race or other competition while on the school team. If a student plans to do so they should notify the school coach as it may affect the training regimen they have for that athlete. Color runs because they do not have a timing aspect are not considered a violation.
Awards and Amateur Rules (Rule 20 and 22)
If members of the cross country team compete in off season races, remember KSHSAA rules prohibit student athletes from accepting prizes. Many "road races" offer cash or merchandise prizes such as shoes, caps, gift certificates for meals, movies, etc. runners should check with the school coach and administration before entering and running in these events. Students who participate in athletic activities, outside of interscholastic competition, shall not accept awards of cash or merchandise. Medals, trophies, and T-shirts shall not be considered merchandise."
08/28/2015 7:58:20 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@BraveDawg That is a great official interpretation. Thank you for posting that!
@BraveDawg

That is a great official interpretation. Thank you for posting that!

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.