How many treadmills does your school have?
11/15/2014 5:30:58 AM
User
It's that time of year again. While running on a treadmill is not my favorite form of training, the extreme cold has driven me inside again. The treadmill is the cross-training that most mimics the running we normally do. I am not into elipticals, stationary or recumbent bikes, etc. I go run, lift some light weights, and go home. Several years ago, when I was teaching High School Health and PE, I read about some Illinois schools that had turned their HS PE classes into a Gym Club. With help from grant money, they purchased some good quality treadmills and other standard equipment for the average students. Of course, the runners seized every opportunity to use them too. I told my principal what a great idea this was and he just grunted, "Get me a requisition." I did...to the tune of $30,000+. The next year, I was teaching Social Studies in the middle school (a position I still hold...anyone care to recite the Preamble?). That principal is long gone, but we still don't have any treadmills at school.
It's that time of year again.

While running on a treadmill is not my favorite form of training, the extreme cold has driven me inside again. The treadmill is the cross-training that most mimics the running we normally do. I am not into elipticals, stationary or recumbent bikes, etc. I go run, lift some light weights, and go home.

Several years ago, when I was teaching High School Health and PE, I read about some Illinois schools that had turned their HS PE classes into a Gym Club. With help from grant money, they purchased some good quality treadmills and other standard equipment for the average students. Of course, the runners seized every opportunity to use them too.

I told my principal what a great idea this was and he just grunted, "Get me a requisition."

I did...to the tune of $30,000+.

The next year, I was teaching Social Studies in the middle school (a position I still hold...anyone care to recite the Preamble?).

That principal is long gone, but we still don't have any treadmills at school.
11/15/2014 5:56:49 PM
Coach
No treadmills, but we do have a used elliptical (courtesy of my aunt) and a used StairClimber (purchased cheap from a guy in Topeka KS). And an exercise bike, but that motion is so divorced from running as to be almost worthless except for the cardio/calorie burning benefits. Sean Nunn Raytown South
No treadmills, but we do have a used elliptical (courtesy of my aunt) and a used StairClimber (purchased cheap from a guy in Topeka KS). And an exercise bike, but that motion is so divorced from running as to be almost worthless except for the cardio/calorie burning benefits.

Sean Nunn
Raytown South
11/17/2014 6:23:38 AM
User
@nunn I agree with you on the bikes, BUT I did read an article about the stellar girls xc team in Virginia that pedals stationary bikes for an hour and a half a day to lessen the impact of their elite workouts. I see the cardio benefits but not convinced for the reason you cited.
@nunn

I agree with you on the bikes, BUT I did read an article about the stellar girls xc team in Virginia that pedals stationary bikes for an hour and a half a day to lessen the impact of their elite workouts. I see the cardio benefits but not convinced for the reason you cited.
11/17/2014 8:57:34 AM
User
Having treadmills would at least give runners options during bad weather. Since weather usually does not interfere with summer and fall training I think it would have the most impact on track athletes rather than CC.
Having treadmills would at least give runners options during bad weather. Since weather usually does not interfere with summer and fall training I think it would have the most impact on track athletes rather than CC.
11/17/2014 9:37:46 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
0 treadmills, 1 elliptical, and 1 exercise bike (one that I bought thru xc funds and was trashed by the PE kids). In direct contrast, you should see Joplin HS's new facility. It's obscene. So many workout machines that I couldn't even count. I was jealous to say the least.
0 treadmills, 1 elliptical, and 1 exercise bike (one that I bought thru xc funds and was trashed by the PE kids). In direct contrast, you should see Joplin HS's new facility. It's obscene. So many workout machines that I couldn't even count. I was jealous to say the least.
11/17/2014 9:47:18 AM
User
Treadmills are attractive for average students in PE class settings because it takes away the competitive aspect. Nobody "gets ahead". They all work at their own pace, side by side with their friends. For that reason, many schools that have treadmills tend to promote their use even on nice days when the kids could be outside on the track or trails. To the competitive runner, treadmills are a necessary evil. But it takes intolerable cold and/or precipitation to drive me inside. I would rather run in the dark with my Black Diamond headlamp than do a treadmill session. But work is work...I am glad I have Mercy as an alternative.
Treadmills are attractive for average students in PE class settings because it takes away the competitive aspect. Nobody "gets ahead". They all work at their own pace, side by side with their friends. For that reason, many schools that have treadmills tend to promote their use even on nice days when the kids could be outside on the track or trails.

To the competitive runner, treadmills are a necessary evil. But it takes intolerable cold and/or precipitation to drive me inside. I would rather run in the dark with my Black Diamond headlamp than do a treadmill session. But work is work...I am glad I have Mercy as an alternative.
11/17/2014 11:36:50 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
Two treadmills five elliptical machines, six bikes, and six row machines. Regards, Ryan Banta
Two treadmills five elliptical machines, six bikes, and six row machines.

Regards,

Ryan Banta
11/17/2014 12:06:07 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
The middle school I work at has 2 treadmills, 2 bikes, and 2 ellipticals and a decent weight room... with more cardio equipment coming next year (all bought with a grant). Our High school...zero!
The middle school I work at has 2 treadmills, 2 bikes, and 2 ellipticals and a decent weight room... with more cardio equipment coming next year (all bought with a grant). Our High school...zero!
11/17/2014 1:23:19 PM
Coach
[quote=missilesilo]@nunn I agree with you on the bikes, BUT I did read an article about the stellar girls xc team in Virginia that pedals stationary bikes for an hour and a half a day to lessen the impact of their elite workouts. I see the cardio benefits but not convinced for the reason you cited.[/quote] @missilesilo I agree with everything you say. Short version of how I came to believe in "running makes you a better runner". Until 1997 I trained for triathlons in the summer, did a triathlon in August, then ran 50ish mpw for train for a fall marathon. Best result 3:07. When my first child was born I gave up triathlons because of the time factor. I increased my running mileage to up to 70 mpw. Best result 2:47:56. Sean Nunn
missilesilo wrote:
@nunn

I agree with you on the bikes, BUT I did read an article about the stellar girls xc team in Virginia that pedals stationary bikes for an hour and a half a day to lessen the impact of their elite workouts. I see the cardio benefits but not convinced for the reason you cited.

@missilesilo

I agree with everything you say. Short version of how I came to believe in "running makes you a better runner". Until 1997 I trained for triathlons in the summer, did a triathlon in August, then ran 50ish mpw for train for a fall marathon. Best result 3:07.

When my first child was born I gave up triathlons because of the time factor. I increased my running mileage to up to 70 mpw. Best result 2:47:56.

Sean Nunn
12/04/2014 1:53:16 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
After reading these responses, I feel pretty fortunate. We have a jogging track above the gymnasium that is an 8.25 lap mile and we have 12 treadmills
After reading these responses, I feel pretty fortunate. We have a jogging track above the gymnasium that is an 8.25 lap mile and we have 12 treadmills
12/04/2014 1:54:17 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@chester1976 We are pretty fortunate. Excited to take advantage of the facilities. When were you here?
@chester1976 We are pretty fortunate. Excited to take advantage of the facilities. When were you here?
12/04/2014 2:10:20 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
The Joplin Basketball Officials Association has their monthly meetings there. I meant my comment in the nicest manner; I am hugely jealous of what you have available. The treadmills, the ellipticals, the jogging track...I can only dream. That jogging track is worth its weight in gold as far as I'm concerned. I personally cannot stand running when its cold and windy. Windy fine. Cold fine. Cold and windy not fine. It's like a knife to me. Take advantage of your situation and keep up the solid work with your kids; they've already made HUGE strides.
The Joplin Basketball Officials Association has their monthly meetings there. I meant my comment in the nicest manner; I am hugely jealous of what you have available. The treadmills, the ellipticals, the jogging track...I can only dream. That jogging track is worth its weight in gold as far as I'm concerned. I personally cannot stand running when its cold and windy. Windy fine. Cold fine. Cold and windy not fine. It's like a knife to me. Take advantage of your situation and keep up the solid work with your kids; they've already made HUGE strides.
12/05/2014 12:59:40 PM
Coach
I am in awe that people have treadmills. We have three stationary bikes. One that always works, all are used by winter sport athletes? I believe we aspire to be like the postal service with our winter running. That's pretty much it.
I am in awe that people have treadmills. We have three stationary bikes. One that always works, all are used by winter sport athletes? I believe we aspire to be like the postal service with our winter running. That's pretty much it.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.