Class 1 State Preview
11/03/2014 4:13:43 PM
User
I would like to give a high five to each and every team that made it to state this year. That’s a worthy accomplishment in itself. Great Job! Here’s my preview of the Class 1 state meet. I don’t know the other classes well enough to provide any input. This is just my opinion based on a very limit knowledge of most of these teams so please take it with a large grain of salt. Any team in the field could have a great day on Saturday and I hope each runner does their best. Class 1 Girls, the field: Couch Crystal City Drexel Glasgow Hermitage Lone Jack Mansfield Mound City New Haven North Platte Salisbury Sparta St. Vincent Summit Prep Vienna Crystal City I think is clearly the favorite to win this year with a very strong team. Led by a talented freshman and one sophomore but some strong leadership of 2 juniors and 2 seniors they are the team to beat. The other trophy spots are not so clear and Couch, Drexel, Salisbury and Summit Prep should all be in the hunt for the top 4 spots. If I had to pick I would go with Drexel next as they come from a tough district and are senior led with 3 seniors a junior and 3 sophomores. But any order here 2-5 would not surprise me. Class 1 Boys, the field: Cairo Galena Glasgow Hermitage Koshkonong Lone Jack Marion C. Early Maysville Montrose New Haven Sparta St. Vincent Van Buren Vienna West Platte Zalma The top spot is a little bit less clear on the boy’s side as 3 team stand out, Lone Jack, Sparta and St. Vincent all have possible winning teams. I would be very surprised if one of these three don’t come away with the title. Lone Jack is clearly the deepest team with the top 6 all running under 19 sometime this year and #7 posting a 19:01. They are packed with upper classman, 2 seniors and 5 juniors. If the race counted all 7 they would easily win. Sparta is not to be taken lightly as they started the season slow but have been building all year and have some talented runners. 2 seniors a junior and 3 freshmen, they are the youngest of the contenders but have been to state many times before and know what to expect. St. Vincent has probably put up the most consistent and fastest times all year. They also have lots of leadership with 3 seniors, 2 juniors, a sophomore and a freshman. They put up some very good times at the Jefferson City meet on the state course and for that reason I’m going with them. Fourth should be up for grabs with Hermitage and Montrose looking like strong contenders.
I would like to give a high five to each and every team that made it to state this year. That's a worthy accomplishment in itself. Great Job! Here's my preview of the Class 1 state meet. I don't know the other classes well enough to provide any input. This is just my opinion based on a very limit knowledge of most of these teams so please take it with a large grain of salt. Any team in the field could have a great day on Saturday and I hope each runner does their best.

Class 1 Girls, the field:
Couch
Crystal City
Drexel
Glasgow
Hermitage
Lone Jack
Mansfield
Mound City
New Haven
North Platte
Salisbury
Sparta
St. Vincent
Summit Prep
Vienna

Crystal City I think is clearly the favorite to win this year with a very strong team. Led by a talented freshman and one sophomore but some strong leadership of 2 juniors and 2 seniors they are the team to beat. The other trophy spots are not so clear and Couch, Drexel, Salisbury and Summit Prep should all be in the hunt for the top 4 spots. If I had to pick I would go with Drexel next as they come from a tough district and are senior led with 3 seniors a junior and 3 sophomores. But any order here 2-5 would not surprise me.

Class 1 Boys, the field:
Cairo
Galena
Glasgow
Hermitage
Koshkonong
Lone Jack
Marion C. Early
Maysville
Montrose
New Haven
Sparta
St. Vincent
Van Buren
Vienna
West Platte
Zalma

The top spot is a little bit less clear on the boy's side as 3 team stand out, Lone Jack, Sparta and St. Vincent all have possible winning teams. I would be very surprised if one of these three don't come away with the title. Lone Jack is clearly the deepest team with the top 6 all running under 19 sometime this year and #7 posting a 19:01. They are packed with upper classman, 2 seniors and 5 juniors. If the race counted all 7 they would easily win. Sparta is not to be taken lightly as they started the season slow but have been building all year and have some talented runners. 2 seniors a junior and 3 freshmen, they are the youngest of the contenders but have been to state many times before and know what to expect. St. Vincent has probably put up the most consistent and fastest times all year. They also have lots of leadership with 3 seniors, 2 juniors, a sophomore and a freshman. They put up some very good times at the Jefferson City meet on the state course and for that reason I'm going with them. Fourth should be up for grabs with Hermitage and Montrose looking like strong contenders.
11/04/2014 9:26:17 PM
User
I think it's accurate to predict the CC girls as the favorite but you can't count out a solid Salsbury team with 7 quality runners. It should be an extremely close race. Drexel could be the sleeper for the #2 spot as well.
I think it's accurate to predict the CC girls as the favorite but you can't count out a solid Salsbury team with 7 quality runners. It should be an extremely close race. Drexel could be the sleeper for the #2 spot as well.
11/05/2014 9:08:14 AM
User
Absolutely, any team making it to state has a chance, that’s why they made it because they have a quality team. I did list Drexel and Salisbury as two of the 5 best teams. One team has bad day, another runs the meet of their life, you never know. Based on previous performances the teams I listed have the best chance but it doesn’t mean they will win. That will be decided on race day like it should be.
Absolutely, any team making it to state has a chance, that's why they made it because they have a quality team. I did list Drexel and Salisbury as two of the 5 best teams. One team has bad day, another runs the meet of their life, you never know. Based on previous performances the teams I listed have the best chance but it doesn't mean they will win. That will be decided on race day like it should be.
11/05/2014 6:00:55 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I think that the teams you mentioned as your top 3 for the boys are very solid Class 1 teams; however, if Hermitage is not in the top 3 in Class 1 Boys I will be very shocked. Coach Sabala will have those boys ready to roll and their District course was one of the most challenging (if not the most) of the District sites for Class 1. I'm not taking anything away from the others listed, but I'd say they get top 3 and are my "dark horse" team if an upset of St. Vincent (the team who I'd say is the favorite headed in) was to occur. Just my opinion, good luck to all competing this Saturday!
I think that the teams you mentioned as your top 3 for the boys are very solid Class 1 teams; however, if Hermitage is not in the top 3 in Class 1 Boys I will be very shocked. Coach Sabala will have those boys ready to roll and their District course was one of the most challenging (if not the most) of the District sites for Class 1. I'm not taking anything away from the others listed, but I'd say they get top 3 and are my "dark horse" team if an upset of St. Vincent (the team who I'd say is the favorite headed in) was to occur. Just my opinion, good luck to all competing this Saturday!
11/05/2014 8:40:22 PM
Coach
Another Class 1 close observer's opinion... On the boys side I have seen Hermitage many times this year and they are a strong team that gets out early and is aggressive. I'll put them at the 1 spot. I have St. Vincent at the 2 spot with a strong body of work and a good showing at the Capital City meet earlier this season. Lone Jack appears to be running strong to close the season and they should be 3. Then the fun begins. Sparta, New Haven, Marion C Early, Montrose, and Van Buren could all find themselves on the podium. It should be interesting to see who comes out of that with a state trophy. Very tight race this year. Good luck to all.
Another Class 1 close observer's opinion... On the boys side I have seen Hermitage many times this year and they are a strong team that gets out early and is aggressive. I'll put them at the 1 spot. I have St. Vincent at the 2 spot with a strong body of work and a good showing at the Capital City meet earlier this season. Lone Jack appears to be running strong to close the season and they should be 3. Then the fun begins. Sparta, New Haven, Marion C Early, Montrose, and Van Buren could all find themselves on the podium. It should be interesting to see who comes out of that with a state trophy. Very tight race this year. Good luck to all.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.