sectional course difficulty?
11/01/2014 8:43:57 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
At class four sectionals how do the course rate in terms of difficulty?
At class four sectionals how do the course rate in terms of difficulty?
11/01/2014 9:43:08 PM
Coach
The sectional 4 course is easier than state, but not by a huge amount. The 2 courses are similar in that (thanks to those who are trying to turn cross-country into 5K on a grass track) the first 2 miles have very little elevation change, and what little there is changes only very gradually. The biggest difference is that the state course goes down a big hill at about 2.25 miles, whereas the Kearney course remains flat until 2.75 miles. The last 600 meters at Kearney then go up, down, up, fairly similar to state. If I had to guess I would say that the Kearney course would run 10-15 seconds faster than state for an elite boy and 20-30 seconds faster for an elite girl. Keep in mind however that the girls race today was run in 25 degree weather which is not exactly ideal conditions for running fast. Sean Nunn Raytown South
The sectional 4 course is easier than state, but not by a huge amount. The 2 courses are similar in that (thanks to those who are trying to turn cross-country into 5K on a grass track) the first 2 miles have very little elevation change, and what little there is changes only very gradually. The biggest difference is that the state course goes down a big hill at about 2.25 miles, whereas the Kearney course remains flat until 2.75 miles. The last 600 meters at Kearney then go up, down, up, fairly similar to state.

If I had to guess I would say that the Kearney course would run 10-15 seconds faster than state for an elite boy and 20-30 seconds faster for an elite girl. Keep in mind however that the girls race today was run in 25 degree weather which is not exactly ideal conditions for running fast.

Sean Nunn
Raytown South
11/01/2014 11:26:00 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
Thanks Sean. I feel the Farmington course runs fast. It is a full minute faster then state course. Central course has been about the same as state to 15 seconds faster depending on year to year footing on a golf course at Jefferson City.
Thanks Sean. I feel the Farmington course runs fast. It is a full minute faster then state course. Central course has been about the same as state to 15 seconds faster depending on year to year footing on a golf course at Jefferson City.
11/02/2014 1:08:15 AM
User
Sectional 3 is faster than state, no Forest Park though so the times here are definitely impressive. Sectional 2 is more important to take into the placing of the teams of SLUH and Rock Bridge. You can kind of compare how they are to other meets in the season by team, but it is a decent course. No info on Sectional 1, but I'm sure you can compare similar times and judge it.
Sectional 3 is faster than state, no Forest Park though so the times here are definitely impressive. Sectional 2 is more important to take into the placing of the teams of SLUH and Rock Bridge. You can kind of compare how they are to other meets in the season by team, but it is a decent course. No info on Sectional 1, but I'm sure you can compare similar times and judge it.
11/02/2014 9:52:35 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
Inform. Thanks for the info. As for Rockbridge and SLUH it would be difficult to know pacing because the easy at which they might have been able to qualify. I do know from previous maps Warrenton course makes it seem as if would be fast if teams were running full tilt.
Inform. Thanks for the info. As for Rockbridge and SLUH it would be difficult to know pacing because the easy at which they might have been able to qualify. I do know from previous maps Warrenton course makes it seem as if would be fast if teams were running full tilt.
11/02/2014 12:48:39 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
We have raced at Warrenton twice, including yesterdays sectional. I certainly wouldn't call it fast, but kids were racing hard. I'd say it's a fair course as in not really hilly and certainly no forest park or other flat courses. Good footing and no major huge hills, but it's on a school campus. There are lots of corners (turning) and not a lot of major wide open spaces for passing lanes or surging. Pretty good course for a post season meet.
We have raced at Warrenton twice, including yesterdays sectional. I certainly wouldn't call it fast, but kids were racing hard.

I'd say it's a fair course as in not really hilly and certainly no forest park or other flat courses. Good footing and no major huge hills, but it's on a school campus. There are lots of corners (turning) and not a lot of major wide open spaces for passing lanes or surging.

Pretty good course for a post season meet.
11/02/2014 3:01:31 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
[quote=bantazmo]Thanks Sean. I feel the Farmington course runs fast. It is a full minute faster then state course. Central course has been about the same as state to 15 seconds faster depending on year to year footing on a golf course at Jefferson City.[/quote] @bantazmo Just sent you a message Coach. Great job on the lake jump yesterday! :)
bantazmo wrote:

@bantazmo

Just sent you a message Coach. Great job on the lake jump yesterday! :)
11/02/2014 8:54:13 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
[img]http://www.milesplit.com/static/128775/e[/img]
11/02/2014 9:25:27 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
Is this the Warrenton course? http://www.usatf.org/routes/view.asp?rID=400567
Is this the Warrenton course? http://www.usatf.org/routes/view.asp?rID=400567
11/02/2014 9:40:33 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@bantazmo I've known several people who've told bantazmo to go jump in a lake. Finally his girls have accomplished the mission so many undertook. :-]
@bantazmo I've known several people who've told bantazmo to go jump in a lake. Finally his girls have accomplished the mission so many undertook.
11/03/2014 8:30:31 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@bantazmo That's it save for a few changes b/c of construction they started this week. Lol. The coaches and AD were not happy.
@bantazmo

That's it save for a few changes b/c of construction they started this week. Lol.

The coaches and AD were not happy.
11/05/2014 7:51:48 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
Where was the construction at?
Where was the construction at?
11/05/2014 11:11:04 PM
User
The Farmington course is not as fast as you might think....The course record is 15:50 by Noah a couple of years ago...The record for Nixa is 15:13 as I remember it... The terrain in Farmington is uneven, hilly with mulch and soft trails...there is also gravel...not a slow course by any means but not nearly as fast as a Castlewood for instance...Not nearly as fast as Chili Pepper or Nixa... Also people have talked about performances at Palatine...Palatine is stated as a 3 mile course which they do for some reason in Illinois..,So those times should be fast
The Farmington course is not as fast as you might think....The course record is 15:50 by Noah a couple of years ago...The record for Nixa is 15:13 as I remember it...
The terrain in Farmington is uneven, hilly with mulch and soft trails...there is also gravel...not a slow course by any means but not nearly as fast as a Castlewood for instance...Not nearly as fast as Chili Pepper or Nixa...
Also people have talked about performances at Palatine...Palatine is stated as a 3 mile course which they do for some reason in Illinois..,So those times should be fast
11/06/2014 9:56:28 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
as far as i can tell the Nixa record is 15:23 set by Rick Elliott of Kickapoo, now he shares it with Nathan Hall also of Kickapoo. I believe Rick ran his time at the SWCCCA meet which is traditionally the first meet of the year.
as far as i can tell the Nixa record is 15:23 set by Rick Elliott of Kickapoo, now he shares it with Nathan Hall also of Kickapoo. I believe Rick ran his time at the SWCCCA meet which is traditionally the first meet of the year.
11/06/2014 10:44:09 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@bantazmo By the ball field (wall reconstruction) and where they cross over the road was a bit different b/c they were fixing something.
@bantazmo

By the ball field (wall reconstruction)

and where they cross over the road was a bit different b/c they were fixing something.
11/06/2014 11:04:26 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
[quote=JeffreyHindman]The Farmington course is not as fast as you might think....The course record is 15:50 by Noah a couple of years ago...The record for Nixa is 15:13 as I remember it... The terrain in Farmington is uneven, hilly with mulch and soft trails...there is also gravel...not a slow course by any means but not nearly as fast as a Castlewood for instance...Not nearly as fast as Chili Pepper or Nixa... Also people have talked about performances at Palatine...Palatine is stated as a 3 mile course which they do for some reason in Illinois..,So those times should be fast[/quote] @JeffreyHindman Just for the record, the boys course record at Farmington is 15:32 by Drew White from Festus in 2011. Jacob Swearingen from Potosi was the record holder before that in 15:33. I can't remember Noah ever racing on the Farmington course. Our course does have gravel and some mulch trails, but we have almost no hills at all. Our course ran fast last Saturday, but traditionally doesn't run particularly fast. I ran some numbers from our kids over the last decade and our kids on average ran less than ten seconds slower at the state meet than they did on our home course.
JeffreyHindman wrote:
The Farmington course is not as fast as you might think....The course record is 15:50 by Noah a couple of years ago...The record for Nixa is 15:13 as I remember it...
The terrain in Farmington is uneven, hilly with mulch and soft trails...there is also gravel...not a slow course by any means but not nearly as fast as a Castlewood for instance...Not nearly as fast as Chili Pepper or Nixa...
Also people have talked about performances at Palatine...Palatine is stated as a 3 mile course which they do for some reason in Illinois..,So those times should be fast

@JeffreyHindman

Just for the record, the boys course record at Farmington is 15:32 by Drew White from Festus in 2011. Jacob Swearingen from Potosi was the record holder before that in 15:33. I can't remember Noah ever racing on the Farmington course. Our course does have gravel and some mulch trails, but we have almost no hills at all. Our course ran fast last Saturday, but traditionally doesn't run particularly fast. I ran some numbers from our kids over the last decade and our kids on average ran less than ten seconds slower at the state meet than they did on our home course.
11/06/2014 11:53:40 AM
User
@jstone Maybe so about Farmingtons record...MoMike has Noah at 15:50 as the record in 2011...That doesn't seem that fast...I know the winners at sectionals didn't push at all and could have easily gone well below that...
@jstone
Maybe so about Farmingtons record...MoMike has Noah at 15:50 as the record in 2011...That doesn't seem that fast...I know the winners at sectionals didn't push at all and could have easily gone well below that...
11/06/2014 2:17:11 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
[quote=JeffreyHindman]@jstone Maybe so about Farmingtons record...MoMike has Noah at 15:50 as the record in 2011...That doesn't seem that fast...I know the winners at sectionals didn't push at all and could have easily gone well below that...[/quote] @JeffreyHindman Where do you see that record? I'm curious if there are mirror meets somewhere where a meet that isn't Farmington is being represented as being from Farmington. I just did a search of the Farmington Invitational records on milesplit and Drew White's time was the one that came up. If you can put up the link you are referring to I would appreciate it. Thanks!!!
JeffreyHindman wrote:
@jstone
Maybe so about Farmingtons record...MoMike has Noah at 15:50 as the record in 2011...That doesn't seem that fast...I know the winners at sectionals didn't push at all and could have easily gone well below that...

@JeffreyHindman

Where do you see that record? I'm curious if there are mirror meets somewhere where a meet that isn't Farmington is being represented as being from Farmington. I just did a search of the Farmington Invitational records on milesplit and Drew White's time was the one that came up. If you can put up the link you are referring to I would appreciate it. Thanks!!!
11/06/2014 4:20:54 PM
User
@jstone Interesting...as of a couple of days ago it said Noah 15:50 and now it says Drew White 15:32 no sign of Noah...My buddy saw the same Noah entry I did...weird...
@jstone
Interesting...as of a couple of days ago it said Noah 15:50 and now it says Drew White 15:32 no sign of Noah...My buddy saw the same Noah entry I did...weird...
11/06/2014 4:23:05 PM
User
@JeffreyHindman 15:32 makes more sense as a record for that course
@JeffreyHindman
15:32 makes more sense as a record for that course

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.