Rim Rock
09/21/2014 10:08:39 PM
User
Who do you have winning? Top runners representing Kansas? Any surprises?
Who do you have winning? Top runners representing Kansas? Any surprises?
09/22/2014 12:01:55 AM
User
SUBSCRIBER
Looking at the Gold division, going by returners from last year, I'm really looking forward to the matchup between Stuart McNutt, Stephen Mugeche, and Zachary Alhamra. Mugeche and Alhamra were ranked #17 and #19 in the nation in the 9/8 national rankings, and I think this is a great chance for McNutt to put his name out there again. I think he was receiving votes by the end of last year but never ranked. That should be a great race. And going by returners, it looks like more will be up there with them. For the girls, it is really tough to say, because we have no idea who is running in the Gold 4k division or the Platinum 5k division. I'm sure there will be much more than this, but I of know that for sure Maize and St. Thomas Aquinas will be running the 5k...and probably Lawrence Free State. As of now, it looks like Venters is tops in the State of Kansas (although a fellow sophomore in Cailie Logue recently matched her 18:13 5k time), so I'm excited to see how she does in this 5k. In any case, I'm going to Rim Rock for the first time, and I'm really, really looking forward to it. I am excited :)
Looking at the Gold division, going by returners from last year, I'm really looking forward to the matchup between Stuart McNutt, Stephen Mugeche, and Zachary Alhamra. Mugeche and Alhamra were ranked #17 and #19 in the nation in the 9/8 national rankings, and I think this is a great chance for McNutt to put his name out there again. I think he was receiving votes by the end of last year but never ranked. That should be a great race. And going by returners, it looks like more will be up there with them.

For the girls, it is really tough to say, because we have no idea who is running in the Gold 4k division or the Platinum 5k division. I'm sure there will be much more than this, but I of know that for sure Maize and St. Thomas Aquinas will be running the 5k...and probably Lawrence Free State. As of now, it looks like Venters is tops in the State of Kansas (although a fellow sophomore in Cailie Logue recently matched her 18:13 5k time), so I'm excited to see how she does in this 5k.

In any case, I'm going to Rim Rock for the first time, and I'm really, really looking forward to it. I am excited :)
09/22/2014 3:40:07 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Division lists are posted here. Looks like some great races and better weather/course conditions than last year! http://sidearm.sites.s3.amazonaws.com/kuathletics.com/documents/2014/9/18/RRC_HS_2014_Division_List.pdf?id=2277
Division lists are posted here. Looks like some great races and better weather/course conditions than last year!

http://sidearm.sites.s3.amazonaws.com/kuathletics.com/documents/2014/9/18/RRC_HS_2014_Division_List.pdf?id=2277
09/22/2014 7:37:09 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Good showing of teams entered in the girls 5k. Cool stuff!
Good showing of teams entered in the girls 5k. Cool stuff!
09/22/2014 8:26:08 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
McNutt in the boys Gold. Grace Klausen (Mo) in the girls Gold although Iowa City looks fast. Cameron G. And Sophie Scott should do well too. Girls Platinum is loaded STA and Free State. That's going to be a great battle.
McNutt in the boys Gold. Grace Klausen (Mo) in the girls Gold although Iowa City looks fast. Cameron G. And Sophie Scott should do well too. Girls Platinum is loaded STA and Free State. That's going to be a great battle.
09/22/2014 10:28:35 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Rim rock is the best race at the best venue I've ever been to in the sport! I always look forward to rim rock day because I know no matter what race I'm watching I'm going to see something impressive. It's amazing how many teams make their way out there. We all enjoy the big time races with the big time athletes, but it's the little things I look forward to the most. The terrain, the scenery, the finish! Taking the shortcuts through the narrow trails to get to next part of the course, covered bridges, serene ponds, playing the "back in my day we used to run up the REAL Billy Mills ascent" card like I do every year, seeing the kids faces when they walk the course and see the hills right around the oak holler bridge. From the moment you pull up to the course you can just FEEL the energy! It might take you an hour to get into the parking lot and 2 hours to leave, but still amazing! I feel bad for 1a, 2a, & 4am for NOT having state out there with the others. Here is where it gets really nerdy. As a physics & chemistry guy I really appreciate this now. After winning state at rim rock in '03 our coach had us scrape off some rock dust and take a very small bite. In that sample there were a few billion calcium atoms, most of them will just pass through you, but a few will be used to help bone development/repair and will be permanently infused in our skeleton forever. So no matter where I go I like to think I take a little bit of rim rock with me.
Rim rock is the best race at the best venue I've ever been to in the sport! I always look forward to rim rock day because I know no matter what race I'm watching I'm going to see something impressive. It's amazing how many teams make their way out there. We all enjoy the big time races with the big time athletes, but it's the little things I look forward to the most. The terrain, the scenery, the finish! Taking the shortcuts through the narrow trails to get to next part of the course, covered bridges, serene ponds, playing the "back in my day we used to run up the REAL Billy Mills ascent" card like I do every year, seeing the kids faces when they walk the course and see the hills right around the oak holler bridge. From the moment you pull up to the course you can just FEEL the energy! It might take you an hour to get into the parking lot and 2 hours to leave, but still amazing! I feel bad for 1a, 2a, & 4am for NOT having state out there with the others.

Here is where it gets really nerdy. As a physics & chemistry guy I really appreciate this now. After winning state at rim rock in '03 our coach had us scrape off some rock dust and take a very small bite. In that sample there were a few billion calcium atoms, most of them will just pass through you, but a few will be used to help bone development/repair and will be permanently infused in our skeleton forever. So no matter where I go I like to think I take a little bit of rim rock with me.
09/23/2014 10:10:45 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@CoachBallew That is awesome! If you need to find me....I'll be the guy chewing on rocks all day :-$
@CoachBallew

That is awesome! If you need to find me....I'll be the guy chewing on rocks all day
09/23/2014 11:40:04 AM
User
First time to the Rim Rock meet, I did go to state last year. How long does it take to get into the site with all the teams that are participating? My son is running the Boys JV Gold race.
First time to the Rim Rock meet, I did go to state last year. How long does it take to get into the site with all the teams that are participating? My son is running the Boys JV Gold race.
09/23/2014 11:08:00 PM
User
Stuart McNutt will win the gold by a minimum of 10 seconds; he is simply too strong.
Stuart McNutt will win the gold by a minimum of 10 seconds; he is simply too strong.
09/23/2014 11:55:25 PM
User
@bsrunner Zach Alhamra is currently #3 Nationally, he certainly will be in the running!
@bsrunner

Zach Alhamra is currently #3 Nationally, he certainly will be in the running!
09/24/2014 12:46:01 AM
User
SUBSCRIBER
@bsrunner Yes, Alhamra as well as Mugeche will be giving McNutt a good challenge. Alhamra has run 14:58 this year, I think at altitude, which is very, very impressive, and Mugeche is very strong. I happened to be running a 10k race that he ran this summer, and he ran like a 32:03 or thereabouts, with no one to challenge him. Pretty impressive.
@bsrunner Yes, Alhamra as well as Mugeche will be giving McNutt a good challenge. Alhamra has run 14:58 this year, I think at altitude, which is very, very impressive, and Mugeche is very strong. I happened to be running a 10k race that he ran this summer, and he ran like a 32:03 or thereabouts, with no one to challenge him. Pretty impressive.
09/24/2014 12:48:06 AM
User
SUBSCRIBER
@browatt Regarding Aquinas vs Free State, I predict Aquinas wins handily. Their pack will be able to offset Free State's Venters and Sanner. Either way, will be entertaining to see!
@browatt Regarding Aquinas vs Free State, I predict Aquinas wins handily. Their pack will be able to offset Free State's Venters and Sanner. Either way, will be entertaining to see!
09/24/2014 8:34:46 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
In case you have not seen the update on the website. EDITED AGAIN -- NEW SCHEDULE 8:30 AM Boy’s Crimson & Blue JV Race 5K 9:00 AM Girl’s Crimson & Blue JV Race 4k 9:30 AM Boy’s Gold JV Race 5k 10:00 AM Girl’s Gold JV Race 4k 10:30 PM Girl’s Platinum Varsity Race 5K 11:00 AM Boy’s Blue Varsity Race 5k 11:30 AM Girl’s Blue Varsity Race 4k 12:00 AM Boy’s Crimson Varsity Race 5k 12:30 PM Girl’s Crimson Varsity Race 4k 1:00 PM Boy’s Gold Varsity Race 5k 1:30 PM Girl’s Gold Varsity Race 4k 2:00 PM Boy’s “C” Team Race 4k 2:30 PM Girl’s “C” Team Race 4k
In case you have not seen the update on the website.

EDITED AGAIN -- NEW SCHEDULE

8:30 AM Boy's Crimson & Blue JV Race 5K
9:00 AM Girl's Crimson & Blue JV Race 4k
9:30 AM Boy's Gold JV Race 5k
10:00 AM Girl's Gold JV Race 4k
10:30 PM Girl's Platinum Varsity Race 5K
11:00 AM Boy's Blue Varsity Race 5k
11:30 AM Girl's Blue Varsity Race 4k
12:00 AM Boy's Crimson Varsity Race 5k
12:30 PM Girl's Crimson Varsity Race 4k
1:00 PM Boy's Gold Varsity Race 5k
1:30 PM Girl's Gold Varsity Race 4k
2:00 PM Boy's "C" Team Race 4k
2:30 PM Girl's "C" Team Race 4k
09/24/2014 12:26:30 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Justin- Thanks for sharing that. Best of luck to your teams on Saturday.
Justin-

Thanks for sharing that. Best of luck to your teams on Saturday.
09/25/2014 1:53:15 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Thank you Christopher. I appreciate your kind words. I also appreciate you sharing the list of participating teams and your somewhat mediocre weather prediction.
Thank you Christopher. I appreciate your kind words. I also appreciate you sharing the list of participating teams and your somewhat mediocre weather prediction.
09/25/2014 7:56:29 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Wriglee- You are welcome. I always pull for your teams. I think the success you have had shows than any of us can have success. Thanks for being the light in times of darkness.
Wriglee-

You are welcome. I always pull for your teams. I think the success you have had shows than any of us can have success. Thanks for being the light in times of darkness.
09/26/2014 4:19:44 PM
User
I've now been to Rim Rock several times, but still consider myself a "newbie." I'm wondering if anyone has any viewing suggestions, particularly for a spectator willing to run (even sprint) from one area to another? Thanks!
I've now been to Rim Rock several times, but still consider myself a "newbie." I'm wondering if anyone has any viewing suggestions, particularly for a spectator willing to run (even sprint) from one area to another? Thanks!
09/26/2014 11:25:00 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
My normal routine is to watch the start, stay put to catch them just short of the mile marker, take the back way through the small trails behind the finish to get down to kings bridge or cemetery hill, then sprint to the finish to hopefully catch our first runner come through the finish.
My normal routine is to watch the start, stay put to catch them just short of the mile marker, take the back way through the small trails behind the finish to get down to kings bridge or cemetery hill, then sprint to the finish to hopefully catch our first runner come through the finish.
09/26/2014 11:44:35 PM
User
Is BV West's drop to 5A effective for the 2014 State XC meet?
Is BV West's drop to 5A effective for the 2014 State XC meet?
09/27/2014 7:09:08 AM
Coach
@stokes66 Yes
@stokes66
Yes

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.