Anyone know of any GOOD tents available for sale?
09/04/2014 11:25:45 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
We are looking around at tents all over the internet and trying to find something we like. We have used the EZ UP tents that most other teams use for many years, but have grown very weary of continuing to buy frame after frame, only to have them break in short order. We have probably gone through eight tent frames over the last decade, and we are simply unwilling to continue to spend our money on a design that is so prone to breaking. Any idea where we might be able to find something with a different design? Thanks much, Coach Stone
We are looking around at tents all over the internet and trying to find something we like. We have used the EZ UP tents that most other teams use for many years, but have grown very weary of continuing to buy frame after frame, only to have them break in short order. We have probably gone through eight tent frames over the last decade, and we are simply unwilling to continue to spend our money on a design that is so prone to breaking. Any idea where we might be able to find something with a different design?

Thanks much,
Coach Stone
09/04/2014 12:00:30 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I just bought a tent from KD Kanopy and it is working out great. The price is expensive (starting at about $1500). I did some research and talked to other coaches and this one seemed the most durable and best design in my opinion.
I just bought a tent from KD Kanopy and it is working out great. The price is expensive (starting at about $1500). I did some research and talked to other coaches and this one seemed the most durable and best design in my opinion.
09/04/2014 1:07:51 PM
Coach
Like you, we have had frame after frame break due to operator error setting up/taking down and the wind. And while they are build very cheaply, they aren't cheap. Here is my suggested solution that has worked well for us: Go low-tech, put down a big ground tarp and spread your stuff out on that. On the rare meet day that it is raining hard, leave your stuff on the bus and have the kids stay there until they are ready to warm up. That takes care of about 99.5% of all meets. (The 0.1% being meets when it is raining hard and the bus has to park a long way from the course.) The biggest disadvantage is that you won't have your school name up in 1 foot tall letters for all to see. My kids complain that we look "ghetto". My reply is that I don't care how we look, I care about how we run. On a windy day you and your team can laugh at all of the other teams chasing their tents as they blow away. Sean Nunn Raytown South
Like you, we have had frame after frame break due to operator error setting up/taking down and the wind. And while they are build very cheaply, they aren't cheap. Here is my suggested solution that has worked well for us:

Go low-tech, put down a big ground tarp and spread your stuff out on that. On the rare meet day that it is raining hard, leave your stuff on the bus and have the kids stay there until they are ready to warm up. That takes care of about 99.5% of all meets. (The 0.1% being meets when it is raining hard and the bus has to park a long way from the course.)

The biggest disadvantage is that you won't have your school name up in 1 foot tall letters for all to see. My kids complain that we look "ghetto". My reply is that I don't care how we look, I care about how we run.

On a windy day you and your team can laugh at all of the other teams chasing their tents as they blow away.

Sean Nunn
Raytown South
09/04/2014 9:45:10 PM
User
@seannunn agreed. only reason we ever had a tent was to keep the JV occupied when I didn't have time to supervise them. seemed the parents and gf's used the tent more than the team did.
@seannunn

agreed. only reason we ever had a tent was to keep the JV occupied when I didn't have time to supervise them. seemed the parents and gf's used the tent more than the team did.
09/04/2014 10:21:58 PM
User
I agree that tents are a pain. I dislike hauling it out, and even more so, hauling it back into storage after a long bus ride from the meet. That being said, protection from the sun is the main reason we take it anywhere. It's also nice on a cold day for protection from a breeze. The bus can get a little too warm and uncomfortable to sit in.
I agree that tents are a pain. I dislike hauling it out, and even more so, hauling it back into storage after a long bus ride from the meet.

That being said, protection from the sun is the main reason we take it anywhere. It's also nice on a cold day for protection from a breeze. The bus can get a little too warm and uncomfortable to sit in.
09/05/2014 3:12:26 PM
Coach
http://www.deltacanopy.com/
http://www.deltacanopy.com/
09/09/2014 11:34:04 AM
Coach
I guess our district is going to buy a high dollar one for cross-country, soccer, and track all to use. I will try to remember to put a "consumer reports" evaluation of it on here once we have had a chance to use it and see how it performs. Not real enthusiastic about this, but the parents want it and I can't very well say we aren't going to use it if it is available. Sean Nunn Raytown South
I guess our district is going to buy a high dollar one for cross-country, soccer, and track all to use. I will try to remember to put a "consumer reports" evaluation of it on here once we have had a chance to use it and see how it performs. Not real enthusiastic about this, but the parents want it and I can't very well say we aren't going to use it if it is available.

Sean Nunn
Raytown South
09/09/2014 3:20:22 PM
Coach
KDKanopy was recommended to me by a dad who had 3 sons ran at Rockbridge. I am glad I went with the canopy and have since purchases an additional one for when we are split up. The parts are easy to replace and the graphics are great. The only repairs we have needed have come when someone else tried putting it up and strained a crossbar. I would highly recommend them to anyone. Are you going to Forest Park or MSSU? Ours will be there. I don't know if we will take the red or black one but they have horses running with an MCXC on the front and back peaks. Darbi Stancell McDonald County HS
KDKanopy was recommended to me by a dad who had 3 sons ran at Rockbridge. I am glad I went with the canopy and have since purchases an additional one for when we are split up. The parts are easy to replace and the graphics are great. The only repairs we have needed have come when someone else tried putting it up and strained a crossbar. I would highly recommend them to anyone. Are you going to Forest Park or MSSU? Ours will be there. I don't know if we will take the red or black one but they have horses running with an MCXC on the front and back peaks.
Darbi Stancell
McDonald County HS

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.