Article Comment: Big River Running Company Pre-Season XC Rankings
08/24/2014 10:44:52 AM
User
Zach Penrod (Raytown) will be top 10 without question. He could be top 5.
Zach Penrod (Raytown) will be top 10 without question. He could be top 5.
08/24/2014 2:26:57 PM
User
I would like to offer two "Dark Horse" candidates for the rankings. Jefferson City Sophomore Harriers Jackson Schwartz and Brendan Bena. Both of them worked very hard over the Summer, logging more than 350 training miles. As I said in a previous post, they are BOTH coming off of solid Spring Track campaigns. Also, as I said before, Brendan is new to Cross Country, having converted from Soccer, but he has shown some early promise, coming in as number two man behind Jackson in a time trial held yesterday at Cole County Park (the Jays' home course).He is quietly emerging as ONE of the team's leaders. The Jays are a relatively young squad. Eli Jacobs is the only Senior in a Top Seven heavy with Sophomores and Juniors. The squad will only get better as Jacobs and Junior Saxon Teubner round back into competition shape. Veteran Juniors Courtney Fitch and Cody Irwin, much-improved Junior Ethan Hart, and up-and-coming Freshman Cole Biesemeyer will also figure into the mix. Additional leadership will be provided by Senior Team Captain George Tharp. The Jays' Men's Harriers are looking to challenge the top teams in the Class 4 Districts and Sectionals and then go to the States as a team. The Lady Jays' Harriers will be led by Seniors Kaylee Ruff (a member of the Lady Jays Soccer team) and Tori Bonnot (one of the mainstays of the Lady Jays' 4X800 Meter Relay Team). They too will only get better as Junior Lindsey Biesemeyer rebounds from an early season injury. Mackenzie Gourley (sister of 800 Meter standout Jacob) is one of the Lady Jays' up-and-coming Freshmen. The ladies will be a team with revenge on their minds as they look to avenge last year's narrow loss at the hands of West Plains at Districts. They are also looking to return to the States as a team.
I would like to offer two "Dark Horse" candidates for the rankings. Jefferson City Sophomore Harriers Jackson Schwartz and Brendan Bena. Both of them worked very hard over the Summer, logging more than 350 training miles. As I said in a previous post, they are BOTH coming off of solid Spring Track campaigns. Also, as I said before, Brendan is new to Cross Country, having converted from Soccer, but he has shown some early promise, coming in as number two man behind Jackson in a time trial held yesterday at Cole County Park (the Jays' home course).He is quietly emerging as ONE of the team's leaders.

The Jays are a relatively young squad. Eli Jacobs is the only Senior in a Top Seven heavy with Sophomores and Juniors. The squad will only get better as Jacobs and Junior Saxon Teubner round back into competition shape. Veteran Juniors Courtney Fitch and Cody Irwin, much-improved Junior Ethan Hart, and up-and-coming Freshman Cole Biesemeyer will also figure into the mix. Additional leadership will be provided by Senior Team Captain George Tharp. The Jays' Men's Harriers are looking to challenge the top teams in the Class 4 Districts and Sectionals and then go to the States as a team.

The Lady Jays' Harriers will be led by Seniors Kaylee Ruff (a member of the Lady Jays Soccer team) and Tori Bonnot (one of the mainstays of the Lady Jays' 4X800 Meter Relay Team). They too will only get better as Junior Lindsey Biesemeyer rebounds from an early season injury. Mackenzie Gourley (sister of 800 Meter standout Jacob) is one of the Lady Jays' up-and-coming Freshmen. The ladies will be a team with revenge on their minds as they look to avenge last year's narrow loss at the hands of West Plains at Districts. They are also looking to return to the States as a team.
08/24/2014 11:36:17 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
Nerinx hall should be on the list.
Nerinx hall should be on the list.
08/25/2014 2:50:11 AM
User
Obviously, they are only going by last years statistics. I have a very strong feeling within the first 2 meets these rankings will change considerably. They don't factor freshmen coming in. I can think of a few teams in which this will weigh heavily on the strength of their team. I guess that's why I don't put much faith in pre season rankings.
Obviously, they are only going by last years statistics. I have a very strong feeling within the first 2 meets these rankings will change considerably. They don't factor freshmen coming in. I can think of a few teams in which this will weigh heavily on the strength of their team. I guess that's why I don't put much faith in pre season rankings.
08/25/2014 8:44:26 AM
User
Team ranking not based on classes are pretty meaningless to me. Yes teams from different classes can run against each other during the regular season but these are just warm ups for districts, sectionals and state. I think it would be much more interesting to see a top five list from class 1, 2, 3 and 4.
Team ranking not based on classes are pretty meaningless to me. Yes teams from different classes can run against each other during the regular season but these are just warm ups for districts, sectionals and state. I think it would be much more interesting to see a top five list from class 1, 2, 3 and 4.
09/17/2014 9:44:39 AM
User
@runfasttorunfast I agree on that one, although, Jefferson City did beat reigning Class 2 State Champ Fatima at the Jim Marshall Invitational a couple of weeks ago.
@runfasttorunfast I agree on that one, although, Jefferson City did beat reigning Class 2 State Champ Fatima at the Jim Marshall Invitational a couple of weeks ago.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.