Rim Rock Platinum division for girls
08/19/2014 3:03:08 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
The Rim Rock meet will have a 5K Platinum division for girls this year. I requested to have my team put in that division and wondered which other teams will run their girls in the 5K race this year. http://kuathletics.com/sports/2013/7/31/cross_0731133539.aspx?id=274
The Rim Rock meet will have a 5K Platinum division for girls this year. I requested to have my team put in that division and wondered which other teams will run their girls in the 5K race this year. http://kuathletics.com/sports/2013/7/31/cross_0731133539.aspx?id=274
08/20/2014 11:27:20 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Nixa has requested to be in the 5K race
Nixa has requested to be in the 5K race
08/20/2014 3:38:56 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
RayPec Girls are hoping for the Platinum division.
RayPec Girls are hoping for the Platinum division.
08/21/2014 6:28:16 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
St. Joseph Central girls will run the 5K. Coach Miller
St. Joseph Central girls will run the 5K.
Coach Miller
08/21/2014 3:43:11 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
As a Kansas coach that is continually disappointed that our state has still not made the jump to the 5k I want to thank everyone that is coming to Rim Rock and running the 5k distance on KS soil. Even though it probably just seems like business as usual to most of you, I see it as a great step forward that will hopefully lead to KS making a change. I want to believe that it can only help to open the eyes of the people in KS that oppose the 5k distance. Thank you for sending the right message to the girls in our program and in every program in the state. Sincerely, Justin Wrigley Saint Thomas Aquinas
As a Kansas coach that is continually disappointed that our state has still not made the jump to the 5k I want to thank everyone that is coming to Rim Rock and running the 5k distance on KS soil. Even though it probably just seems like business as usual to most of you, I see it as a great step forward that will hopefully lead to KS making a change. I want to believe that it can only help to open the eyes of the people in KS that oppose the 5k distance. Thank you for sending the right message to the girls in our program and in every program in the state.

Sincerely,
Justin Wrigley
Saint Thomas Aquinas
08/21/2014 5:08:15 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
Coach Wrigley, Can you share why Kansas has chosen to stay at 4k for girls XC? I am pretty sure in this day and age KSHSAA and the coaches know that girls are equal in their ability to handle the 5k so I am assuming it is a different reason. Is it due to tradition/history? Do coaches favor the short race so that incorporates more mid distance girls? I think Iowa is in the same boat with the 4k (also I believe they have girls at 1500/3000 in track) I just never understood why the distance were not equal between the boys and girls.
Coach Wrigley,
Can you share why Kansas has chosen to stay at 4k for girls XC? I am pretty sure in this day and age KSHSAA and the coaches know that girls are equal in their ability to handle the 5k so I am assuming it is a different reason. Is it due to tradition/history? Do coaches favor the short race so that incorporates more mid distance girls? I think Iowa is in the same boat with the 4k (also I believe they have girls at 1500/3000 in track) I just never understood why the distance were not equal between the boys and girls.
08/21/2014 7:13:39 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
[b]The reasons most often given by KS coaches for sticking with the 4k are as follows:[/b] 1) Many rural schools claim that girls won't come out for XC if the race is 5k. 2) Many believe that because the NCAA distances for women are 5k/6k and shorter than the mens 8k/10k distances, then the high school distances for girls should also be shorter than boys. They believe that the girls should move up in distance in college similar to what the boys do. I believe there are more arguments but I don't recall them at the moment because they are equally stupid. [b]My rebuttal for the two arguments listed above: [/b] 1) When KS moved from 3200m to 4k participation continued to increase and track times got faster. 2) I don't buy the "NCAA argument" because I never assume the NCAA does anything right and they run the same distances for NCAA men and women on the track. 1500, 5k, 10k, etc... The men's and women's marathon is the same distance. Kansas has issues and it drives me bonkers.
The reasons most often given by KS coaches for sticking with the 4k are as follows:
1) Many rural schools claim that girls won't come out for XC if the race is 5k.
2) Many believe that because the NCAA distances for women are 5k/6k and shorter than the mens 8k/10k distances, then the high school distances for girls should also be shorter than boys. They believe that the girls should move up in distance in college similar to what the boys do.

I believe there are more arguments but I don't recall them at the moment because they are equally stupid.

My rebuttal for the two arguments listed above:
1) When KS moved from 3200m to 4k participation continued to increase and track times got faster.
2) I don't buy the "NCAA argument" because I never assume the NCAA does anything right and they run the same distances for NCAA men and women on the track. 1500, 5k, 10k, etc... The men's and women's marathon is the same distance. Kansas has issues and it drives me bonkers.
08/21/2014 7:50:02 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
Thank you for the honest response Coach Wrigley...I honestly never considered the rural schools aspect of the 4k vs 5k but given the demographics and geography of Kansas I see what you are saying now. The NCAA argument should be moot since, what 1 in 1000 might run at the NCAA level? For what it is worth the 5k has improved my female mid distance runners (800 and 1600) while the longer distance female runners probably would benefit from a 5k as opposed to the shorter, and probably faster 4k race. DE - Winnetonka
Thank you for the honest response Coach Wrigley...I honestly never considered the rural schools aspect of the 4k vs 5k but given the demographics and geography of Kansas I see what you are saying now. The NCAA argument should be moot since, what 1 in 1000 might run at the NCAA level? For what it is worth the 5k has improved my female mid distance runners (800 and 1600) while the longer distance female runners probably would benefit from a 5k as opposed to the shorter, and probably faster 4k race.
DE - Winnetonka
08/21/2014 10:02:42 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I too am a HS coach in Kansas and I applaud you entering the 5K race. It should also be noted that Bonner Springs HS will be having a Girls 5K race at their Invitational this year as well. You are all welcome to come over and help us show the other KS schools that Girls can do anything Boys can do. We are up to 36 teams that have signed our contract. Come on over and help us reach 40. Our Invitational is Sept 20th at Wyco Park. Rob Marriott Head CC Head Track Bonner Springs HS
I too am a HS coach in Kansas and I applaud you entering the 5K race. It should also be noted that Bonner Springs HS will be having a Girls 5K race at their Invitational this year as well. You are all welcome to come over and help us show the other KS schools that Girls can do anything Boys can do. We are up to 36 teams that have signed our contract. Come on over and help us reach 40. Our Invitational is Sept 20th at Wyco Park.

Rob Marriott
Head CC
Head Track
Bonner Springs HS
08/21/2014 11:10:18 PM
Coach
Coaches, I brought the idea of having a 5k race many years ago and was told that it would never happen, so I just decided to quit attending the race (even though I really wanted my MO girls to experience that great XC course). I just did not think that it was to our benefit to run that distance so late into the season. I am very pleased to see that KU has "come around" and that many of you are deciding to run in that division. Best of luck to you; and to Coach W and Coach M in your quest to get the state (or at least the large division schools to change the distance for the girls)
Coaches, I brought the idea of having a 5k race many years ago and was told that it would never happen, so I just decided to quit attending the race (even though I really wanted my MO girls to experience that great XC course). I just did not think that it was to our benefit to run that distance so late into the season. I am very pleased to see that KU has "come around" and that many of you are deciding to run in that division. Best of luck to you; and to Coach W and Coach M in your quest to get the state (or at least the large division schools to change the distance for the girls)
08/24/2014 1:21:23 PM
User
I'm new on here but I would like to know that if there is such a strong feeling about the girls running the same distance as the guys for high school CC why the NAIA at championship races in CC only run 5K for the women while the men run 10K? If we move the HS girls to 5K, wouldn't it make sense to then move the guys to 10K at the HS level for State Championship Meets like they do at both the NCAA & NAIA levels so they would also be better prepared? Just a thought.
I'm new on here but I would like to know that if there is such a strong feeling about the girls running the same distance as the guys for high school CC why the NAIA at championship races in CC only run 5K for the women while the men run 10K? If we move the HS girls to 5K, wouldn't it make sense to then move the guys to 10K at the HS level for State Championship Meets like they do at both the NCAA & NAIA levels so they would also be better prepared? Just a thought.
08/24/2014 10:37:55 PM
Coach
Just a correction, NAIA runs 8k for the men; NCAA does run 10k for the men, but usually they race 8k all season and maybe 3 10k's at the most in the last month or so. And in my opinion, the [b][/b]majority of the hs boys would not be ready for the 8k or 10k racing until at least their senior year, or freshman year of college.
Just a correction, NAIA runs 8k for the men; NCAA does run 10k for the men, but usually they race 8k all season and maybe 3 10k's at the most in the last month or so. And in my opinion, the majority of the hs boys would not be ready for the 8k or 10k racing until at least their senior year, or freshman year of college.
08/25/2014 8:21:45 PM
Coach
The solution to the "NCAA problem" is for guys to run 6K in high school, not for girls to run 4K. I probably stand alone on this, but I stand proudly. Sean Nunn Raytown South
The solution to the "NCAA problem" is for guys to run 6K in high school, not for girls to run 4K. I probably stand alone on this, but I stand proudly.

Sean Nunn
Raytown South

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.